GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roof bars and panoramic roof

walkerwood

Has anyone fitted roof bars on a Mk 7 Golf with a factory fitted panoramic sun roof?
I need to buy bars and roof box to create more space for holidays.
Any suggestions as to makes of bars and boxes other than VW OEM gear as this is too costly.
UK users would be useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fudsey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 MkV GTI
I know the OEM bars fit with panoramic sunroof. I also believe Thule does too. There are tons of pics on here that others have posted as well as myself. Search for fairings for roof racks and you will tons of pics

Bod

I have Thule footpack and bars for my MK7 hatch and Thule footpack and bars for my MK5 estate which has fixed rails and panoramic. I can't answer the question about the panoramic roof on the MK7 but I would recommend Thule everytime in preference to the OEM bars on performance as well as cost.

www.skidrive.co.uk, www.roofracks.co.uk etc.

walkerwood

Many thanks for replies. I have contacted Roof Racks about Thule bars compatability, otherwise looks like OEM.
Incidentally I phoned VW uk for advice re OEM bars and they didn't know if they would be suitable with a panoramic sun roof!!!!

DannyScotland

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

I had this issue with roof bars albeit with the estate. I did a lot of research and spoke to a few shops, contacted Thule and given the roof rises so high on opening no one bar VW would guarantee that the bars wouldn't interfere with the roof operation.

I ended up going with OEM bars - safer option for me, but if there are people on here who have done it before with Thule I don't see why you wouldn't.

walkerwood

Further to this saga, I received this info from a Thule supplier.

'You will be able to fit the Thule WingBars on your vehicle with the panoramic roof, however, Thule do not recommend operating the panoramic roof when the roof bar system is installed on the roof of your vehicle.'

Great on a hot day!!!
OEM it is then. Some at reduced prices on Ebay with free postage.