GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Road Noise at higher speeds

BolDe7

Hey Guys,

I have a Mk 7.5 GTI 20,000 on stock tires. Just got them rotated and balanced. I am getting a road noise at higher speeds. It is in incremental hum with no feed back on the steering wheel or peddles. The noise happened just before the maintenance preformed. It was a local shop that I have been dealing with for years. The tread is still good. The only thing that I can think of is that I had a direct impact on the driver side tire at low speeds but it was fast enough for me to hop the curb on to a side walk. The driver side front rim took a hit and since has been rotated to the opposite side rear, and the noise is coming from the front. Called my VW dealer where I bought the car.. they were not very helpful at all. Car is still under warranty but reluctant to drive it past 65mph with out me driving. Any thoughts.
Again:
NO feedback from clutch, brake or gas pedal.
NO feedback from steering wheel, in normal or in sport.
NO aliment issues
Just:
this really annoying intermittent humming sound but it is not consistent there is a break between the noise.

Any thoughts, I appreciate it my VW bros and sis.

Derek

Litespeedgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
Might want to check the front bearings on both driver and passenger side. Start with a simple drive on a smooth road at highway speed and lightly but briskly move the steering wheel to the left and then right. Looking for a dull sound that is briefly repeatable. If yes, good chance it's a bearing. Good luck!

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
My stock bridgestones have gotten a little noisier on the freeway. I’m at 26k miles.
20k would be pretty unusual for wheel bearing problems.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
i like both guess's.

when was curb incident and hearing noise? anyone local you can try a wheel swap with? the intermittent part is it the same section of road it gets loud on (ie road surface = tire noise)

Mud

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I never rotate my tires and just buy a new pair (if 2WD) or set when worn. When I swap wheels I mark the wheels with some masking tape and sharpie to note which corner it came off of so that I mount them back to the right corner later on.

Therefore I don't encounter this problem with tire road noise. If it's a wheel bearing it will sound completely different.. more like an eerie DC10 noise.

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
My 10k golf made quite a hum at 65+ from passenger side front but couldn`t feel any play in the bearing.
Changed bearing noise gone (y)

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
why don't you rotate tires?
1DF62F8D-D2ED-4F28-A5B9-934FB5E1DAF4.gif

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
why don't you rotate tires?

Tires wear differently at each corner so by rotating you loose the wear angles for that corner.. in addition, the tire road noise can be very annoying on some tires so I don't bother any more. I'm a guy that swapped front tires every 2-3k miles on my FWD canyon carving car, rear tires every 4-5k miles on my RWD cars so I guess I'm kind of already accustomed to not rotating tires. I am also kind of lazy.

dawooj

Passed Driver's Ed
Since the noise stays with the driver side front despite rotating tires, my guess is the wheel bearing.

Happened to me too on my MK6 after an impact like that. Subtle hum/whine noticeable if you listen for it. Get it replaced sooner than later.