GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Revised Stock Intake for MK7 GLI

KFahey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GLI 35
Do you notice any difference after making the cutouts?
The car honestly feels like it pulls harder after all of the intake mods I've done on a stock tune. The cutouts alone have proven to increase airflow by 9 CFM as shown by Jeff on My Golf Mk7.

I have the BMS turbo inlet pipe, Torque Solutions inlet hose, AFE Dry drop in, snow grate removed and the cutouts. Preparing for a Eurodyne tune after some more miles.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I think the main reason is for aero to reduce pressure build up in the engine bay....

think of it like this..air into the front of car has to be pushed out of the way either around the body or through openings...that opening allows air into the engine bay...which can then vent out under the engine bay at the rear of the subframe....by blocking off the opening you are increasing the aero resistance...

The Ford Focus has such movable air flaps in the grills etc.....sometimes its best to totally block the grille off..but you also need to then block the underside of the engine bay off to...all about the air pressure build up in the engine bay...

There is also the basics of weather etc.....

Royalion

Ready to race!
Installed 5Q0-129-254-E & 5Q0-129-747 in my 2017 GTI
669FA583-EBE2-4521-9B2D-25B8F1B5F438.jpeg

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
It installed without modifications

5Q0-129-254-E is listed as 18+ GTI on the VW parts website. Was there any difference to your original duct (I saw you mentioned you have a '17), and did it have the air scoop KFahey mentioned as the 2nd point? I'm having difficulty visualizing how there's a scoop that runs along the intake. The picture posted isn't processing in my brain very well.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Just got my backing plate today and only had time to open up one square on the drivers side. So far so happy.