GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reviewed: Neuspeed Boost Tap

greatoz

Ready to race!
Welcome to another brutally honest review on products for our beloved Mk7 GTI's. As a precursor, I am running Neuspeed RSe10's and could not be happier with the wheels, but that's a story for another day.

Goal here was to add an analog boost gauge to my car to and leverage the P3Cars vent gauge's ability to read analog boost. I LOVE my P3Cars gauge and have been running for months.

I wanted analog boost pressure in real time because I've added a BMS JB1 to my car and was seeing ECU boost via the P3Cars gauge - I wanted to see manifold boost with the JB1 versus ECU boost.

Long story short, I needed a boost tap so I turned to a trusted source - Neuspeed. I bought this: http://www.neuspeed.com/491096-neuspeed-boost-tap.html, and bought it from them directly. Packaging was beautiful, and shipping was ridiculously fast.

When the P3Cars analog add-on arrived (oh looks it's so CUTE and TINY!!!) with the 42 Draft Designs boost hose kit (awesome bit of kit) came, I watched the DAP video about how to get something through the firewall here:

https://youtu.be/j_DoT6AGn8E

Worked great. Yanked the battery, found the grommet from the inside, poked a wire hanger through, attached the boost hose with tape, pulled it back through.

After I got the hose run, the P3Cars analog add on was installed, got it all nice and pretty in the engine bay, then unplugged the sensor on top of the manifold, screwed the Neuspeed part in, put the stock sensor back on top of the new part with the supplied screw, plugged my boost hose in, calibrated my P3Cars and BAM, real boost at the manifold! w00t!

Holy crapola. 28-30+ PSI @ WOT with the JB1 set to Map1? Um.....not good?

The issues I have with the boost tap are two-fold: it's affecting air intake temperature and acting as a heat sink. The intake manifold is plastic, the Neuspeed part is aluminum. It gets so hot you can't touch it. In addition, it doesn't provide a path for the air to move over the stock sensor and that affects the ECU's read on actual air intake temps.

These two factors resulted in air intake temp readings that were WAY too high - ambient in the high 70's to mid 80's, with the Forge Twintercooler I've installed and the stock sensor in the stock location I was seeing 10-15 degrees over ambient at WOT. That's a good result.

With the Neuspeed not having a path internally for the air coming into the manifold to flow over the stock sensor AND acting as a heat sink, I was seeing temps of 90+ degrees over ambient.

With the JB1 set to Map0 (pass-through) the car threw multiple EPC's, VCDS revealed that the engine was overboosting. A lot. Max as read on the P3Cars analog gauge was 31.8 PSI. Yikes.

So I pulled it, replaced it with the APR Boost Tap found here: https://www.goapr.com/products/boost_tap_20t_ea888_gen3.html and the following has resulted:

1 - Air intake temps are reading correctly, 10-12 over ambient at WOT with the Twintercooler

2 - The car isn't throwing EPC / overboost after repeated attempts to make it go crazy with JB1 in Map0 (passthrough).

3 - JB1 is back to a conservative Map 6 setting, testing is continuing, but I'm a LOT happier now. Car's pulling like a freight train and max boost I've seen with conservative JB1 settings is 24-25.

4 - The brass "pill" I installed in the boost hose (came with the APR Boost Tap) stopped the WOT P3Cars analog plug-in buzzing.

So long story short:

Build Quality: 10/10 - typical Neuspeed, great quality and machining

Instructions: 10/10 - typical of Neuspeed, great instructions

Packaging: 9/10 - two parts, plastic sleeve sealed with parts separated, would have liked to see bubble wrapping inside the inner box but I'm NITPICKING and I know it.

Shipping: 11/10 - OMG fast shipping!!!

Functionality: 2/10
- It WORKS in the sense that it gives boost readings (also made the P3Cars analog gauge buzz at WOT like crazy) -but- the part acted as a heatsink and didn't give the stock sensor a path for airflow through said sensor. Those design "flaws" caused the motor to think intake temps were super high and ask the turbo for more boost to make the targeted power. This resulted in EPC lights and overboost errors as seen in VCDS.

TL;DR
It worked, but caused EPC/overboost problems. Removed it, and consider the part as $$$ wasted. The APR tap plugs into another closed port (kit includes a tool to broach an opening) on the intake manifold and does not interfere with the intake air temp readings.

Last edited:

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Good review, I thought it was a given that sandwich style boost are pretty much a no-go for these engines. I'm surprised they are still selling them.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, there are plenty of posts all over the internet not to use these. I switched months ago.

greatoz

Ready to race!
Yeah, there are plenty of posts all over the internet not to use these. I switched months ago.

and now this post is the second result on Google when you search for "Neuspeed boost tap review".

others can learn from my mistake or lack my lack of google-foo. that said i didn't see any (honest?) negative reviews in the first three pages of google search results prior to becoming bored with checking. just a buncha marketing fluff / ads / "buy me buy me buy me" nonsense.

the 10 minutes to type it / warning for others was and is worth it to me.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Good review. I wish I would have seen this sooner as I've been having very high IAT's but no codes or lights. I wasn't big on piercing the manifold but I may need to. I considered make one out of plastic to replace the Neuspeed one which would keep the temps down but the sensor would still be out of the airflow.
Anybody running a boost gauge and a 3.5 bar AEM sensor?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
The tap only gets hot at idle right? As long as you're moving...you have air moving into the engine bay. You have that opening above the grill that people like to block off.

I don't have a Neuspeed...but I have a Boomba (also aluminum) one. Its sits in the same general location...but the sensor sits sideways on the tap. I've popped the hood after pulling into the garage and the tap is cool to the touch. It'll get hot after some heat soak.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
The tap only gets hot at idle right? As long as you're moving...you have air moving into the engine bay. You have that opening above the grill that people like to block off.

I don't have a Neuspeed...but I have a Boomba (also aluminum) one. Its sits in the same general location...but the sensor sits sideways on the tap. I've popped the hood after pulling into the garage and the tap is cool to the touch. It'll get hot after some heat soak.

I'm skeptical of any part inside the engine compartment being cool to the touch after driving. I've been measuring temperature at various spots around the engine compartment and I have not found any location yet to be cool.

My GTI had a USP boost tap on it from the prior owner. It didn't generate false high readings as much as described in the first post, but they were slightly higher, and more significantly when I would accelerate the response from the IAT sensor was sluggish which did result in incorrectly high temperature readings.

I also went with the APR tap to resolve the issue.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Went with ECS's intake manifold boost tap due to this issue. The lure of not having to punch a hole is strong, but really, when would you remove the tap? If you don't want the boost gauge, easy enough to plug the port with the block-off screws provided or in the worst case, just put some epoxy in the hole....really not a big deal and a much better design.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I'm skeptical of any part inside the engine compartment being cool to the touch after driving. I've been measuring temperature at various spots around the engine compartment and I have not found any location yet to be cool.

My GTI had a USP boost tap on it from the prior owner. It didn't generate false high readings as much as described in the first post, but they were slightly higher, and more significantly when I would accelerate the response from the IAT sensor was sluggish which did result in incorrectly high temperature readings.

I also went with the APR tap to resolve the issue.

Something I do is when I get home...is I'll pop the hood once I get in the garage. On a cool night...the tap will be cool to the touch...I mean a cold feeling. On a warm day...the tap will be warm...but not hot to the touch like an iron. It'll reach that temp once the car sits for a few mins during heat soak after the car is shut off.

All I'm saying is that when the car is actually moving...there is air moving over the engine. The tap is right next to the air opening. The tap itself isn't heating up the way people are claiming...unless you're at idle.

Also...the Neuspeed part is no longer made of aluminum. I think they switched to Delrin.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Bout 3 years late but solid review nonetheless, will definitely help any newcomers.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Something I do is when I get home...is I'll pop the hood once I get in the garage. On a cool night...the tap will be cool to the touch...I mean a cold feeling. On a warm day...the tap will be warm...but not hot to the touch like an iron. It'll reach that temp once the car sits for a few mins during heat soak after the car is shut off.

All I'm saying is that when the car is actually moving...there is air moving over the engine. The tap is right next to the air opening. The tap itself isn't heating up the way people are claiming...unless you're at idle.

Also...the Neuspeed part is no longer made of aluminum. I think they switched to Delrin.
It is now Delrin. Good catch.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI

I repositioned a temperature sensor to be adjacent to the MAP sensor, they are less than one inch apart. The chart shows the air temperature in that area in the morning during a drive. I don't use the stock intake so the passenger side of the grill is completely open to the engine compartment.