GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Heated Steering Wheel

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
There are additional grounding points on the MFSW. I think that once you have the wheel and put it in there, the length of the wires with those spade connectors should make it obvious what goes where.

It would not be a bad idea to find a photo of the interior of a MFSW setup and just make sure you have everything connected properly.

malison

Car(s)
Golf MK7
Hello Guys,
I would like to retrofit a Mk8 steering wheel (touch version with heating funcion) to my Mk7 pre-facelift. Is a new type 5Q1 clockspring necessary or an old 5Q0 clockspring with heating function is usable? Does the 5Q1 14 pin version have same pinout as the 5Q0 14 pin version? Thanks

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Hello Guys,
I would like to retrofit a Mk8 steering wheel (touch version with heating funcion) to my Mk7 pre-facelift. Is a new type 5Q1 clockspring necessary or an old 5Q0 clockspring with heating function is usable? Does the 5Q1 14 pin version have same pinout as the 5Q0 14 pin version? Thanks
You need a new clockpsring of the same "type" your car has now, either a new 5Q0 or a new 5Q1.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Someone earlier in this thread posted about how they had to move some wires around the harness to get the 5Q1 version to work. But it did work - and I *think* they were on a pre-FL car.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That was @mannymoda. I don't know if his car is facelift or not but he started out car was 5Q1xxxxxx from factory clock spring and updated to a 5Q1xxxxxxB. I think the issue was something funky in the adapter harness he had. And maybe at first glance he was making corrections based on the wiring changes required when going 5Q0 to 5Q0 with heat.

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
My original clock spring was also a 5Q1 953 569......I still needed an adapter to move to the heated steering wheel clock spring (5Q1 953 569 B)

There is still a problem though......this new arrangement works for a week or two before giving out. I have tried a new clock spring and had the exact same result.

I haven't had a chance to properly trouble shoot it. I have a couple of projects that need buttoning up but haven't had the time to attack them.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
So, the clock spring works for a week or two, and then suddenly you have no heat again...? And you've had this happen twice now? Where are you buying the clock spring - dealer, or finding something from AliX or the like?

The reason I'm asking is that I did the heated SW retrofit on my wife's A3 e-tron (basically a Golf GTE), picking up a new gateway (OE one didn't support heated SW part) and a 5Q0953549D clock spring. Once I got the new gateway accepted by the car, I got heat to the steering wheel (this was back in early October...no real need for it yet at that point)...

but then when I went to clean up some coding in other modules (I was doing direct TPMS at the same time), I noticed it wasn't switching "on", or delivering any current. Nothing had changed with the wiring. So....my only thought is that the (AliX) clock spring went bad.

Explaining my plight to a friend who's a tech at VW here, he said that the clock springs have a really high failure rate. So, I just put in an order for a new one from FCPeuro - who have a lifetime free replacement warranty on everything.
Won't have it for a couple weeks. So I'll report back then on whether or not that gets heat back (and if it lasts).

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
So, the clock spring works for a week or two, and then suddenly you have no heat again...? And you've had this happen twice now? Where are you buying the clock spring - dealer, or finding something from AliX or the like?

The reason I'm asking is that I did the heated SW retrofit on my wife's A3 e-tron (basically a Golf GTE), picking up a new gateway (OE one didn't support heated SW part) and a 5Q0953549D clock spring. Once I got the new gateway accepted by the car, I got heat to the steering wheel (this was back in early October...no real need for it yet at that point)...

but then when I went to clean up some coding in other modules (I was doing direct TPMS at the same time), I noticed it wasn't switching "on", or delivering any current. Nothing had changed with the wiring. So....my only thought is that the (AliX) clock spring went bad.

Explaining my plight to a friend who's a tech at VW here, he said that the clock springs have a really high failure rate. So, I just put in an order for a new one from FCPeuro - who have a lifetime free replacement warranty on everything.
Won't have it for a couple weeks. So I'll report back then on whether or not that gets heat back (and if it lasts).
I purchased both clock springs from a recycle'r in Germany......both came off low mileage cars apparently. Hopefully you won't be chewing through clock springs like me.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Something interesting, though unhelpful (haha)... is that when I went to do this retrofit I was advised to "upgrade" to the allegedly more reliable Kostal clockspring, which for me would be a 5Q0953549x unit. This would also mean replacing the stalks (and, as I found out, the harness between clock spring and lock cylinder). I even bought everything to go through with that swap then my dealer found a Valeo clockspring, 5Q0953569x that I could directly install.
There was/is a warranty extension on clock springs across several models/years but for our Mk7s I've mostly seen Valeo 549x units on NAR vehicles.

@Nuje has not had the best luck with the Kostal in his A3. And from what I can tell the 5Q1 in @mannymoda's car (and other later Mk7s) is a Valeo unit.

grabania_

Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F
Hi guys! With the help of yours and folks from other forums knowledge I was able to retrofit heated SW from Leon 4 to my Leon 3! Works and looks very good and I love it!

After using it for over month there is one thing that bothers me so much. Was anyone able to display some sort of indication on FIS (dashboard screen) about heating being enabled? Having to click on aircon settings only to see whether heating is enabled is just so unnecessary to me. Sure, heating is on by default when there is colder than 4 Celcius degrees, but you know what I mean...

I've seen several video with VC where there is a giant information about on/off heating, but I am unable to find any sort of information whether it is possible on standard dashboard or not and whether something more needs to be changed in order to make it work (aircon module, BCM, GW, maybe some missing coding...?). Here is an example what I am talking about:

I've got 5Q0953549D steering column and 3Q0907530C GW if that matters.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
The only indicator of heated SW that I can find is that the MIB shows a heated SW icon in the top right....but it is not there when in the CarPlay (and I presume Android Auto) interface.
So, yeah - if you can find something in the instrument cluster, please do let post back here.

grabania_

Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F
Thanks guys for the response. I forgot that in the Golf there is that combo button for activating seat and SW heating simultaneously, so it's not the same case as in Leons.
So, yeah - if you can find something in the instrument cluster, please do let post back here.
My car is one of the first FL Leons, so BCM and GW are rather old from what was eventually installed closer to the end of MK3 life (difference between 2017 and 2020 year). I've also installed heated SW in my friends car which is a bit younger (2018), but still with 5Q0 steering column, similar dashboard (different engines so different part numbers, but same 303 hardware version and 0310 software version) the same BCM and slightly newer GW (SW 3QL907530L instead of 3QL907530G). In his car I also wasn't able to enable that info.

There is a slight possibility that I am going to install SW to a newer Leon, from around 2020 year. This car will be definitelly equipped with 5Q1 steering column, newer BCM and GW and what is the most important - without VC. I will let you know whether in this combo of parts I will be able to find someting!

Last edited:

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
I finally bit the bullet and decided to start the buying process for this modification on my SEL GSW. Grabbed a steering wheel out of the Netherlands for cheap, got the 549 clockspring in concert with my existing one, and picked up a 5Q0 harness off of Ali because I'm lazy (for now). I do have a couple of lingering questions though.

1. When I go to remove the airbag, I was watch the DAP DYI removal video and he uses the key to unlock the steering wheel with the battery disconnected to turn it so that he can access the clips. For those of you with KESSY, did you wait to disconnect the battery so that you could turn the wheel or were you able to muscle the wheel around somehow?

2. The wheel I purchased came with the MFSW buttons included (sweet!) but in lieu of the "CNL" button it has a "MODE" button. To me, it looks like it would either toggle travel assist or ACC to non-ACC. Any ideas or am I going to be the guinea pig to see what it does?

3. I am intending to purchase and install the HVAC panel with the combo heated seat and steering wheel button (5NN907044AGWZU) because I like paying money to fully feature my car with non-value added items (don't we all?). Anyway, it would seem to be as simple as copying the long coding and enabling the bits, in addition to the run-in procedure to get everything working.

4. I'm going to have to see what kind of terminal the Ali harness comes with but I'm intending to run power to the one of the small fuses (as in SC4 (F4) with a 10A fuse). It's not the easiest way but after installing the Qi charger, the purple tab on the locking pins seemed like it was easier to remove than the R's. If not, I was also thinking about going to an open but larger fuse location (SC24-28). What have you all done?

Again, I appreciate/hate @Nuje and @Cuzoe for the work and getting this documented. I will be cursing your names when I do this install!

IMG_1145.jpg

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
2. The wheel I purchased came with the MFSW buttons included (sweet!) but in lieu of the "CNL" button it has a "MODE" button. To me, it looks like it would either toggle travel assist or ACC to non-ACC. Any ideas or am I going to be the guinea pig to see what it does?
That's exactly what my heated SW cruise buttons looked like (prior to going to the Mk8 wheel). After using it for a year and some....still no idea what it did. (Mk8 touch-pad SW doesn't have anything like that.)
I will point out, though, that unless you have adaptive cruise control (ACC), your cruise control won't work. Even though they look pretty much the same, that ACC button (between the + and - buttons) means that the set only works with ACC. From what I recall, the volume buttons continue to work, as do the buttons over on the RH side of the SW.