GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replace Pretoria's with 18" & all-seasons??

translux

Ready to race!
2017 Golf R with Pretoria's & P-Zero's. Chicago roads make for a brutal ride. It's only a matter of time until the Pretoria's are ruined. Further the Zero's aren't very good, especially when compared to something like PSS. But I digress.

So I was going to buy a dedicated set of 17" snow tires & wheels but am now thinking drop down to a nice 18" wheel and go with Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for year round use.

I'm well aware that the A/S 3's won't perform as well as a set of summer only tires but the R is my daily driver and will never see a track.
I also understand that a dedicated snow tire will be better in the winter. Given that we have only a handful of days that are really bad I don't see the value.

It's been decades since I've had all-seasons. My experience back then was that they were bad in all-seasons. From what I've been reading the A/S 3+ actually delivers an all-season tire.

Look forwards to the collectives feedback.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
18" wheels with all seasons would be my preference if there is not much of a snow pile up in your area. Current all seasons perform pretty good in mild snow / winter and you cant go wrong with either Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or EC DWS.

I had a set of Pretorias and it was terrible for Michigan roads. I switched back to a set of 18" in a couple of weeks.

translux

Ready to race!
18" wheels with all seasons would be my preference if there is not much of a snow pile up in your area. Current all seasons perform pretty good in mild snow / winter and you cant go wrong with either Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or EC DWS.

I had a set of Pretorias and it was terrible for Michigan roads. I switched back to a set of 18" in a couple of weeks.

We haven't had a bad winter for sometime. This year feels like it has potential but who knows...

I'd love to find some replicas of the OZ Rally in Dark Graphite. See link below.

I'll give the 18" and the A/S 3+ a shot and will report back.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
We havn't had a bad winter for sometime. This year feels like it has potential but who knows...

I'll give the 18" and the A/S 3+ a shot and will report back.

There are many a people using Continental ExtremeContact DWS all seasons and pretty happy about it including me. You can consider that as an option as well.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
I run the Michelins on my GTI, and I have been extremely pleased with them for 12k. Excellent dry and wet traction. They are plenty of tire for public roads. I have yet to reach the limits of these tires. They do fine in slush, but I have not had a chance to test snow yet. I guess I will find out this weekend though judging by the forecast.

For you, with the awd on the R these will be fine for all but the worst icy conditions. They offer a comfortable ride with great performance characteristics.

Go for it man!

translux

Ready to race!
I run the Michelins on my GTI, and I have been extremely pleased with them for 12k. Excellent dry and wet traction. They are plenty of tire for public roads. I have yet to reach the limits of these tires. They do fine in slush, but I have not had a chance to test snow yet. I guess I will find out this weekend though judging by the forecast.

For you, with the awd on the R these will be fine for all but the worst icy conditions. They offer a comfortable ride with great performance characteristics.

Go for it man!

Thanks for the feedback!
Now I just need to find some nice wheels.

translux

Ready to race!
18” Pretoria’s Gloss Black :)

I really like the look of the Pretoria and the do look great in black on a white car.
At nearly $400 a wheel there are lots of other nice options.

IMO, if you live in Chicago, and you are using your car as your DD, you should have dedicated snows.

I'm sure you're right. But then I'd have to buy another set of 18" wheels & tires in the spring. As much as I love the R not sure I want to spend this $. I'd like to get a new clutch and do some minor suspension work in the spring plus I'm going to need new tires for another car. Alas there's only so much $...

I could go with a cheaper 17" snow and get some steelies. Not sure there's even a steel wheel that would work.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I could go with a cheaper 17" snow and get some steelies. Not sure there's even a steel wheel that would work.

If there are, I couldn't find any in a month of searching. I ended up with a set of 17" Avus wheels from an older Audi S4 (the V6 one from the late 1990s/early 2000s), which I found on Craigslist. The guy even threw in some stab wounds, free of charge! :D

translux

Ready to race!
If there are, I couldn't find any in a month of searching. I ended up with a set of 17" Avus wheels from an older Audi S4 (the V6 one from the late 1990s/early 2000s), which I found on Craigslist. The guy even threw in some stab wounds, free of charge! :D

LOL
I recall seeing someone on one of the forums with steel wheels. Or as my wife likes to tell me "maybe you just imagined it."

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Or you can grow some balls and put snow tires on your prets and then buy a 18" set with summers for the rest of the year. :D:D

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion