GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing stuck filters?

walangij

D1 2010!
Was taking some shots on the pier today. Long story short, my camera & lens almost fell into the lake. And all I got was an "oops" from the person who did it. Fuck. My interval timer was swallowed up by the sea. Good new is my camera works great, lens is fine, but the UV filter is trashed. I removed the glass, checked the front element of the lens and it's fine. Having trouble removing the filter now though. Anyone have any experience?

This has happened to me before, the rubber band trick, or lens filter wrenches didn't work before, and aren't working now because it's a dent. It feels like if I force it it will strip the lens. Last time, when a ditz knocked my camera out of my hand and onto the pavement 6 years ago, I removed the broken filter with needle nose pliers, very carefully. Any of you guys have any easier suggestions besides bending metal very very carefully?

walangij

D1 2010!
Got it off by using needle nose pliers. Removed the filter glass carefully. Needlenose pliers to bend the ring inward very slowly & in slow increments around the area of pressure. Came right off, threads of the lens are not damaged. Not for the faint of heart, last resort sort of thing.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, here is my advice for the future:

Put on a rubber household glove like the ones used for doing dishes. Press the palm flat against the rim of the filter and twist your wrist to unscrew the filter.

I would also put a bit of Chapstik or paraffin on the threads to lubricate them. This will reduce friction without attracting dirt.

walangij

D1 2010!
Next time I'm going to do the rubber glove instead of rubber band. That way there's even pressure so the threads don't lock. I did the misdeed initially of slightly warping the threads by only applying lots of pressure from my thumb and fingers on opposite sides of the filter right after it occured. Instead of even pressure like you'd apply with the rubber glove, it was more of an oval type presure on the ring. Thx for the tips though.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
If you apply pressure on opposite sides you increase friction, and the harder you squeeze the more friction you create.

By putting the filter against the palm of your hand you evenly distribute the pressure across the entire perimeter of the filter, and you don't need to increase that pressure unless the filter slips against the rubber glove.

It works surprisingly well.