GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing APR intake after UM tune

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Since United Mororsports takes into consideration downpipes, intakes, and ICs when writing a file for any given car, so I’m led to believe, will removing my APR intake cause any issues with running lean etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I’d figure at worst it’d run slightly rich, if anything, assuming you’re talking about taking off an aftermarket “higher” flowing intake and filter and putting on the oem intake, “snow grate,” and paper filter. If you’re putting back the oem intake, no “snow grate,” and high flow panel filter, I’d bet there’d be no change anyway.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I’m going back to OEM. I’ve only had this intake for two weeks and I can’t stand the sound it makes at higher rpm. It’s almost like the flat panels of the intake are vibrating from being so thin. The APR Carbonio intake on my MKVI didn’t have this issue.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I’d lose the “snowgrate” and use a better drop in filter than the oem paper one and personally I think it performs as well as any aftermarket intake, at least at stage 1, 2 levels. I’ve run the modified oem intake, basically removed the restrictions in the oem box, meaning the snowgrate and swapping out the paper filter, I used a k&n and also a vwr panel filter, personally I preferred the k&n over the vwr panel filter. The vwr foam panel filter just feels cheap in comparison, I also hated the sticky oil used on the vwr filter.

I had a vwr600 intake and didn’t think it did anything over the modified oem setup, except add some noise, when I was running stage 1 and 2 on this car. Currently I’m running the open element cts intake but really only because the boss600 kit uses a 3.5 inlet elbow and the cts pipe is 3.5 inches itself, it was just an easier install, no need to run a reducer anywhere to make the vwr intake or oem intake work and supposedly the intakes are more valuable once you’ve gone bigger turbo, but at stage 1-2 levels I didn’t think they did anything over the modified oem setup, again basically meaning throw away the snowgrate and stock paper filter when reinstalling the oem intake with a better filter. Anyway I’m sure there’d be no difference with the tune between the modified oem setup and any aftermarket intake, really as long as both systems are running high flow filters they’re probably comparable at that point. Just my 2 cents, from my experience running different setups.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Since United Mororsports takes into consideration downpipes, intakes, and ICs when writing a file for any given car, so I’m led to believe, will removing my APR intake cause any issues with running lean etc?

I want to say it doesn't matter. I got R tuned by UM last year at WITW and I had the stock DP. I recently added an AWE Resonated DP and since that DP didn't throw a cel I inquired (emailed Fred @ UM) about the need for the file that incorporated the DP.

My understanding is that their 'DP' file only turns off the readiness so you don't get a CEL.

Anyways, Fred got back to me and said I was fine.

Adam Chandler on VWVortex also went through this as he was trying to pass emissions and got the same response. He stated their tune is based on PSI and Octane that you specify. Whatever magic is going on does the rest.

I'm at 28psi and 93oct. Since adding the DP I have noticed maybe 1 psi more of peak boost which was 31psi.

Car drives amazing since adding the DP with no issues, no CEL so emissions for my will be fine.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I want to say it doesn't matter. I got R tuned by UM last year at WITW and I had the stock DP. I recently added an AWE Resonated DP and since that DP didn't throw a cel I inquired (emailed Fred @ UM) about the need for the file that incorporated the DP.

My understanding is that their 'DP' file only turns off the readiness so you don't get a CEL.

Anyways, Fred got back to me and said I was fine.

Adam Chandler on VWVortex also went through this as he was trying to pass emissions and got the same response. He stated their tune is based on PSI and Octane that you specify. Whatever magic is going on does the rest.

I'm at 28psi and 93oct. Since adding the DP I have noticed maybe 1 psi more of peak boost which was 31psi.

Car drives amazing since adding the DP with no issues, no CEL so emissions for my will be fine.

The UM stuff is strong. Never have I had my traction control light come on while accelerating, but it does now at times. I’m running APR downpipe with BMS IC and APR intake. I just don’t like the raspy vibration sound the intake makes above 4000 rpm. Make the car sound cheap, so out it comes.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
The UM stuff is strong. Never have I had my traction control light come on while accelerating, but it does now at times. I’m running APR downpipe with BMS IC and APR intake. I just don’t like the raspy vibration sound the intake makes above 4000 rpm. Make the car sound cheap, so out it comes.

I have not come across other complaints about the APR intake making such a sound, nor does the one I have make raspy vibration sounds above a specific rpm. You might want to look into that a bit more since my guess is that it is unique to your intake and not the APR product in general.