GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Remove Manual Gear Stick Gaiter

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Has anyone removed the leather gear stick gaiter on a 6 speed manual gearbox?
If so would appreciate a guide on how to do it.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Easy look at my how to guide to retro fit the ESC button , I describe how to unping the gaiter from the surround. Then lift the gaiter fully up & inside out which reveals a metal crimp ring. Put a screwdriver in the crimp to force it undone & then the whole gaiter & knob pull off vertically. Gaiter & knob are one item............

Ferrari

Ready to race!
I'm not sure what you mean by "gaiter", but if it's the silver ring at the bottom of the leather boot, then it's easy, but take your time!

Feel along the leather boot and push the 2 clips pictured above gently while lifting the top of gaiter / ring upwards. Once the top part of the ring pops up, the rest of the ring come up easily.

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
As mentioned...take your time!
I no longer have 4 clips...I heart 3M trim tape. I'm planning on upgrading to a a new BFI boot and totally forgot I snapped my clips a while back.
Take your time you'll be A-OK
Jimmy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Thanks. Job done. Came out very easily just giving those clips a push. VW service team reckoned I needed a special tool etc.
Just want to change the leather gaiter to match the trim.

klia

does anybody knows how i can remove the trim bezel (brushed steel look) around the gear knob ? mine has scratched badly and would like to replace it.