GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Relative Fuel Economy

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Higher octane helps MPG.
Careful! You don't want to anger the debate gods! There are plenty of technical articles out there that delve into this (not Reddit, Quora, car forums, etc.) so it's definitely worth searching and seeing what the real experts say about it. Me, as noted above, I get more MPG simply by driving in D rather than S which is apparently way more than any possible octane change would result. So, for me, higher octane does nothing but take my money!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Let’s just say this, I just switched over from E85 to my 93 tune and within less than one day I went from an average of 18 miles per gallon up to 28 in and around town.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Let’s just say this, I just switched over from E85 to my 93 tune and within less than one day I went from an average of 18 miles per gallon up to 28 in and around town.
Well yea, E85 runs more fuel rich than 93...

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I don't notice any real difference in mileage, but the power when I use 91 or 93 is noticeable. Still have our nagging $1.20 gap between that and regular.

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
I'm going on a long highway trip, and am wondering if switching to 87 octane would impact mileage. (I believe from 2016 they said it was acceptable.) I won't be needing 93 (or 91) octane at a steady cruise on the highway, and if I lose peak horsepower... I won't notice it because I won't be driving like I do when I'm autocrossing. Sometimes I run 89 octane... right in between 87 and 91. I have a 2017 SE, stock (no tune).

GRM

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15/GTI MT 23/GTI DSG
This summer in Europe I rented a BMW 2 series and I was shocked how expensive gas is. $100-120 every fill.
Here in NC 93 gas is $3.89. We are doing much better than the rest of the
World.
As for op’s question, I would never use anything other than 93. The difference between 87 and 93 is about 65 pennies. A Starbucks coffee. It is not worth it unless you drive 100-200 miles per day.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Run regular and save the $. Just use "quality" fuel.
And if you hear any pinging, back off the throttle. The ECU should do a good job of adjusting timing but, if you mash the throttle and lug the engine in the wrong gear, that can lead to loads of detonation which is not really good.

I've been driving around on mid-grade for a while now as gas prices have been high in California and have noticed no change in power or MPG based on octane alone. I'm of the opinion that octane does not significantly affect either (a totally different thread for another time) and have never noticed an effect in bazillions of years of driving.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
As for op’s question, I would never use anything other than 93. The difference between 87 and 93 is about 65 pennies. A Starbucks coffee. It is not worth it unless you drive 100-200 miles per day.
But if you get a full tank, that's close to $10 which is a few coffees over a week.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Tell me you've never been in a Starbucks without actually telling me you've never been in a Starbucks.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
$1.00 gallon in CT (reg v. premium) I don't race. I can afford it but there is no benefit for how I drive. Comet needs the 93 the GTI doesn't

GRM

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15/GTI MT 23/GTI DSG
Tell me you've never been in a Starbucks without actually telling me you've never been in a Starbucks.
I assumed anyone fills a tank with 10 gallons not only one gallon. :)
That’s $6.50.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
$1.00 gallon in CT (reg v. premium) I don't race. I can afford it but there is no benefit for how I drive. Comet needs the 93 the GTI doesn't
One of these?
1664903898536.png