GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Relative Fuel Economy

back2brand

Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I have a 2019 GTI with a manual transmission and I typically run regular gas. Logically, I understand that the car will get less MPG cruising at 75mph compared to 65mph, but I'm curious about just how much of a difference that is. My gut feeling is that it's very minimal - maybe a half mile per gallon. Does anyone know for a fact how much the differential is based on some published source? Thanks.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
That’s actually a pretty big difference in both air resistance and rolling resistance. At least 3 mpg difference, probably more, depending on your tires.

1655306540576.png

Consumer Reports actually tested this: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2009/09/tested-speed-vs-fuel-economy/index.htm

Last edited:

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
So the golf tsi would be the line to compare most closely to with our GTI’s?
Regardless, 45-48mph seems to be the sweet spot for maximizing mpg’s.

OceanJack

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
It's a pretty big difference as @hans611 said, I travel from North Jersey to Upstate NY traveling at 78mph I average 30mpg with 235 wide tires.
Tires will make a difference as well.

If I drove at 70mph, I'd probably get closer to 33/34 mpg.

back2brand

Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Many thanks for the responses - I guess my gut feeling was unduly optimistic. With $5 gas, I may give up some of that extra speed.

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Tires and conditions do have a lot to do with it. Mostly it's the driver.

My first longer trip was mostly interstate in the summer, almost 600 miles round trip. On the way over, since the car was pretty new to me, I rarely went under 75, and (sometimes maybe higher?). 37.5 was my mileage. Note that getting there was declining elevation. On the way back I got 36 or so. When I commute, it's all driving -related. Like most cars I've had, 70-72 seems to be the sweet spot. I get 35 going, 36 or so returning. Now the past two weeks I've averaged 32/33, and no, it wasn't at 70.

The real sweet spot for most vehicles are double-lane roads where 55-60 is the normal speed. Pavement has a lot to do with it, and our highways suck, I mean, suck.

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I can probably guess the answer, how many have started to put regular in their tanks?

I filled up with 92 non-ethanol yesterday and I was $5.76/gal

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Doesn't running 87 cut timing and result in reduced efficiency? I'd be curious if the reduction in efficiency offsets the savings per gallon? I'd guess it's probably about a wash.

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Doesn't running 87 cut timing and result in reduced efficiency? I'd be curious if the reduction in efficiency offsets the savings per gallon? I'd guess it's probably about a wash.
On two tanks of 87, I noticed no difference at all in mpg. But no question the GTI runs more sluggish on regular. First time I noticed it was a ramp slightly uphill to the interstate. A little hesitation and definite sluggishness.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Many thanks for the responses - I guess my gut feeling was unduly optimistic. With $5 gas, I may give up some of that extra speed.
Slightly off topic (apologies!) but $5 a gallon is a bargain!

In the UK our petrol is priced in litres, but I can remember buying it in gallons back in the 1970’s and 1980’s and I still sometimes convert to the price per gallon (old habits die hard 😀). Last week I paid £1.789 a litre which works out to £8.13 (US $9.80) a UK (imperial) gallon 😮. An imperial gallon is larger than the US gallon, but at last week’s UK prices that would make the price of a US gallon £6.77 (US $8.16).

This week the average price of petrol in the UK is higher; £1.8659 per litre / £8.48 (US $10.22) an imperial gallon. That‘s the equivalent of £7.06 (US $8.51) for a US gallon.

Enjoy your cheap petrol guys 🙂.

FJBGTD

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
In percentage terms a car travelling on the motorway at 60mph uses 9% less fuel than when travelling at 70mph, and at 50mph I believe it was 26% less fuel compared to 70mph. This was in an article from BBC News last week on how to save fuel.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Slightly off topic (apologies!) but $5 a gallon is a bargain!

In the UK our petrol is priced in litres, but I can remember buying it in gallons back in the 1970’s and 1980’s and I still sometimes convert to the price per gallon (old habits die hard 😀). Last week I paid £1.789 a litre which works out to £8.13 (US $9.80) a UK (imperial) gallon 😮. An imperial gallon is larger than the US gallon, but at last week’s UK prices that would make the price of a US gallon £6.77 (US $8.16).

This week the average price of petrol in the UK is higher; £1.8659 per litre / £8.48 (US $10.22) an imperial gallon. That‘s the equivalent of £7.06 (US $8.51) for a US gallon.

Enjoy your cheap petrol guys 🙂.
Our oil production per capita is also almost 3x that of your country...among other things. Up your oil game and enjoy lower prices.