GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

regular maintenance

Paul E. Evans

Passed Driver's Ed
I am considering buying my first Golf with TSI engine. I am used to doing routine maintenance on my cars. Can perform most basic stuff that does not involve air tools. With that being said, what is difficuly level of oil/filter change, spark plugs, TB cleaning? I have my neighbor do brake and tranny fluid if/when needed. Thanks!

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I am considering buying my first Golf with TSI engine. I am used to doing routine maintenance on my cars. Can perform most basic stuff that does not involve air tools. With that being said, what is difficuly level of oil/filter change, spark plugs, TB cleaning? I have my neighbor do brake and tranny fluid if/when needed. Thanks!

Easier than most cars, especially with the topside oil filter. Probably the only car I've had that's easier to service is my 4Runner because it has a ton of open space under the hood and has a screw-on topside oil filter and a collection basin with drain hose even around that for messes.

I haven't done my first oil change yet on the GTI, but on my TDI's I didn't even pull the drain plug. I did topside oil extraction right through the dipstick tube with a Pela 6000 hand pump. This also allows you to suck a few extra ounces out of the bottom of the oil filter housing as well. I am hoping the GTI is conducive to this. As long as the tube can get to the bottom of the oil pan it's good.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Modern cars are easier to work on than older cars. Oil is simple as said because of the oil filter being easy to get to. Brakes are much easier than older cars as they fit in without the need of shed loads of clips or springs. Spark plugs last for tens of thousands of miles longer now, I can't remember the last time I needed to change them. The distributor cap has long gone as well as the carburettor so everything runs much more smoothly. Most the work when a dealer services a car is the visual check and plugging it in to read the fault codes.

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
Easier than most cars, especially with the topside oil filter. Probably the only car I've had that's easier to service is my 4Runner because it has a ton of open space under the hood and has a screw-on topside oil filter and a collection basin with drain hose even around that for messes.

I haven't done my first oil change yet on the GTI, but on my TDI's I didn't even pull the drain plug. I did topside oil extraction right through the dipstick tube with a Pela 6000 hand pump. This also allows you to suck a few extra ounces out of the bottom of the oil filter housing as well. I am hoping the GTI is conducive to this. As long as the tube can get to the bottom of the oil pan it's good.

I use the same extractor on my gti....works flawlessly

vwman

Go Kart Champion
The argument on forums can go on for ever re top oil extraction versus bottom drain. So people make their own choice

VW produce a maintenance schedule issued against each car, using the VIN, for dealer use.

It now reads:

WARNING! ENGINE OIL: DRAIN ONLY
Do NOT extract (for extraction too much remaining quantity of oil); renew oil filter.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
The argument on forums can go on for ever re top oil extraction versus bottom drain. So people make their own choice

VW produce a maintenance schedule issued against each car, using the VIN, for dealer use.

It now reads:

WARNING! ENGINE OIL: DRAIN ONLY
Do NOT extract (for extraction too much remaining quantity of oil); renew oil filter.

I'm so OCD that I sometimes do both: drain through plug and break out the Pela to suck any oil from the filter housing. I haven't looked inside the GTI housing yet, but in the TDI's there was probably 1/3L retained in the filter housing and the oil cooler after plug drain,which could be reached through a hole in the bottom of the filter housing with the Pela tube.

Last edited:

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
have any of you with extractors notice you were able to pull more or less oil?

I can only relate TDI anecdotes because I just bought the GTI. In the TDI's I got 1/3 L more via extractor simply for the fact I could suck the retained oil out of the filter housing and oil cooler that doesn't drain by gravity. But we're really being anal here. It's a very small percent of the total 5.7L capacity. Either method should be as effective. There may be a recess in the oil pan that the Pela tube misses as well, so both methods have pros and cons.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I can only relate TDI anecdotes because I just bought the GTI. In the TDI's I got 1/3 L more via extractor simply for the fact I could suck the retained oil out of the filter housing and oil cooler that doesn't drain by gravity. But we're really being anal here. It's a very small percent of the total 5.7L capacity. Either method should be as effective. There may be a recess in the oil pan that the Pela tube misses as well, so both methods have pros and cons.

So you just stuck the extractor tube down where the oil filter is connected? To get that oil? So basically it should equal draining from the drain plug? lol Thanks you for the information I've been weighing the pro's and con's of getting one.. I see one on harbor freight for a good price.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
So you just stuck the extractor tube down where the oil filter is connected? To get that oil? So basically it should equal draining from the drain plug? lol Thanks you for the information I've been weighing the pro's and con's of getting one.. I see one on harbor freight for a good price.

It's all a matter of if you care to get that extra oil out or not. I do UOA, so I like to get as much of the old out as possible to minimize contamination of the new. I haven't seen inside the GTI filter housing so this may be moot, but here is what the TDIs look like (fast forward to about 3:10). There are a few ounces inside the housing and though it's not shown, you can feed the tube down the hole there and get even more dirty oil out of the oil cooler. That oil doesn't drain during a plug drain. Again, probably overkill for most people, but not for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkkt654hzI8