GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommendations for quality set of brakes and rotors that aren’t terribly expensive

Jdubz

Passed Driver's Ed
I went cheap a little over a year ago because money was tight. They suck. Rotors looks rusted and like crap. Brake pads squeak and make noises. There’s just so many options out there. Was looking for some input that’s not crazy expensive. Just a daily driver

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
I went cheap a little over a year ago because money was tight. They suck. Rotors looks rusted and like crap. Brake pads squeak and make noises. There’s just so many options out there. Was looking for some input that’s not crazy expensive. Just a daily driver

zimmermann rotors are awesome and pagid brake pads

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I’ve always had great results with EBC red stuff

Jantriis02

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I’ve always had great results with EBC red stuff
I used EBC Red Stuff pads during a recent HPDE at Road America, could not have been happier with the performance after 2 days of hard track work. I would recommend to anyone whether theyre doing HPDE or not. As for rotors, I agree with @Andrewbens that the zimmermann rotors are fantastic. I still use stock calipers (PP) so the cost is relatively cheap compared to a full setup. Otherwise, I have seen people with TTRS brakes retrofitted on. Maybe someone with a higher performance VAG car might sell you their OEM stuff after upgrading.

Hope this helps

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Oh this is easy...Centric High Carbon Alloy rotors (have e-coat coating for rust, under $70) and TRW TPC-1633 (Golf R/PP part number) ceramic brake pads (OEM supplier Ceramic version, quiet, no dust and after break-in I feel they are better than stock, under $70)

Jdubz

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys! I’ll have to check out some of what everyone recommended so far when I get some downtime at work

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Check out rockauto, they have all the centric parts for way less than most other places

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
Just incase you are looking at powerstop brakes on rock auto I have them installed on my Touareg and I’m not a big fan of the pads at all. The rotors seem fine

Jdubz

Passed Driver's Ed
I used EBC Red Stuff pads during a recent HPDE at Road America, could not have been happier with the performance after 2 days of hard track work. I would recommend to anyone whether theyre doing HPDE or not. As for rotors, I agree with @Andrewbens that the zimmermann rotors are fantastic. I still use stock calipers (PP) so the cost is relatively cheap compared to a full setup. Otherwise, I have seen people with TTRS brakes retrofitted on. Maybe someone with a higher performance VAG car might sell you their OEM stuff after upgrading.

Hope this helps
Good to know! Today I saw on shopDAP they actually pair the EBC red stuff pads and stoptech rotors for a reasonable price. I’ve never heard of EBC red stuff before today

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
What was it about the pads you didn’t like?

they didn’t seem to stop the vehicle very well and in reverse they would squeal.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
If you want free replacements in the future (+ shipping), FCPEuro has free lifetime replacement warranty. Yes, it's a legit site. I'd buy Zimmerman rotors and some ceramic TRW pads if you don't need high performance braking. If you don't need that lifetime warranty, I'd agree with GolfRRRR1. Centric high carbons with some pads, either the TRWs he recommended or some Centric posi-quiets. Lots of people like this setup for a daily driver.

Hope this helps

You must have not been driving very hard. There's evidence of EBC red stuff literally falling apart when using an (albeit outdated) bedding procedure still available on their website. I can't imagine how they'd survive track abuse, especially considering people have had issues with yellow stuff on track.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/messed-up-my-new-brakes.367755/