GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommend me a brake kit - Vancouver

sunnysingh

Morning people, first post on here.

Front brakes on my 2015 GTI are due for replacement and I'm thinking I'll take this opportunity to 'upgrade' them. I don't track or drive hard but like the occasional spirited drive. Any suggestions on a decent brake kit suitable for daily driving with improved stopping power over stock ? TDOT Performance are selling an EBC kit for $300 which seems like a good price considering I got quoted $173 for a pair of pads only at a local store.

I can't seem to find any good stockists online or shops that have options.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum. You're replacing the rotors also aren't you? I replaced mine with 2 piece rotors which are expensive and not needed for the street. I do recommend Brembo ceramic pads for their long life and very low dust.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Did a shop tell you the rotors needed replaced?

Depending on how you drive and that you have a 2015 and are on your first set of pads...if you are not getting vibration through the steering wheel or pedal, and the rotors are above the min thickness. You may not need to replace them at all. A couple pieces of 320-400 grit sand paper will remove the transfer layer off the rotors to bed in a new set of pads.

A brake fluid flush, a descent pad (I have had good experience with hawk hps 5.0s), and Stainless lines will give you a better pedal. You'd be amazed at what new fluid does for pedal feel, especially if it has not been changed since 2015. I believe bone oem stock rotors are higher quality than EBC and red stuff pads are crap...but that is just my internet opinion...

Anything with brakes is a engineering problem....everyone wants, no noise, low/no dust, good feel, long life, and cheap....oh and works on the track at 1000deg F and at 0 deg F for 99 bucks....
cheap...no dust...no stopping power, bad pedal feel....
dust....noise...great stopping power, good pedal feel

Last edited:

sunnysingh

By 'brake kit' I meant discs and pads. I was advised 4 months ago by a shop the pads were running low and discs should be changed to accommodate the new pads. I checked again today and noticed the front passenger pads were slightly lower than the drivers side but both discs looked/ felt in good shape. Now I'm in two minds and wondering if I should hold out for another few months until there is more wear. A buddy was suggesting swapping for Zimmerman discs and Akebono pads for daily driving ?

I want to get the most life out of the brakes I have right now. Maybe I should save the cash and buy H&R springs instead lol.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
You probably don't "need" rotors, but the only way to tell is measure the thickness of them...but to each his own.

Zimmerman discs and akebono pads are good quality parts.

#1 if you have not serviced brake fluid...that needs to be done. I would not buy lowering springs...if you don't have the cash for both.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’d recommend OEM pads and rotors from FCP euro, covered by their lifetime warranty.

Don’t forget to flush the brake fluid as it’s supposed to be done after 3 years so overdue at this point.

If you want better performance pads are the way to accomplish that, but be honest with yourself about how you use your car when making a pad selection.