GOLFMKV

Recall on gear shifter trim

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Says misc recall on the invoice above.

cb1111

Interesting, but they aren't making that distinction. Everybody at the dealership called it a recall.
Yes, the distinction is mostly technical. A recall is always coordinated with NHTSA - or directed by NHTSA, while a service action is a decision made by the manufacturer independently.

Recalls require that owners be notified while service actions do not - but a manufacturer may decide to notify owners.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Same issue here. I never had a leather steering wheel that didn't peel.

Eventually I'll get tired enough of looking at it and order myself a CF wheel.

EG6r7Oc.gif

murph3699

Go Kart Newbie
Same issue here. I never had a leather steering wheel that didn't peel.

Eventually I'll get tired enough of looking at it and order myself a CF wheel.
I'm talking about the same plastic trim that's peeling on the shifter. I almost cut myself wiping down the steering wheel

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I'm talking about the same plastic trim that's peeling on the shifter. I almost cut myself wiping down the steering wheel
The leather kinda sucks too (I've been lambasted here for saying that in the past.) It's too smooth and slippery and too soft - my wedding ring has cut into it several times as I'm just driving normally and now it's kind of cut up here and there and that never happened on previous leather steering wheels (Volvo, Corvette) which had admittedly less supple yet way more resilient leather.

So yours is peeling where? The plastic around the buttons or the R logo at the bottom?

cb1111

Here is the Service Action as reported to NHTSA Microsoft Word - 34J7_34L9 VW Dealer Launch Notice _USA_CAN__DRAFT.docx (nhtsa.gov) and these are the affected vehicles

1644690889135.png

Again, this is not a recall mandated by NHTSA, but a preemptive strike by VW to avoid a recall.

This is further proof that reporting issues to NHTSA works. While there is no "magic number" of complaints that will prompt an investigation, a petition for investigation is often successful when there are 150 or so complaints referenced..

It is also interesting that the recall doesn't mention injuries caused by the defective trim. Based on this Service Action, I'd have to assume that they actually redesigned the trim.

Note that there are two SA - including the R.

Affected owners should be getting letters. It sounds like VW is taking this very seriously.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
My trim around the gear shifter isn’t peeling lucky me but it did peel on the window switch wonder if they would replace that. And does the gear shifter only get replaced if it is peeling or isn’t it getting replaced no matter what.

cb1111

My trim around the gear shifter isn’t peeling lucky me but it did peel on the window switch wonder if they would replace that. And does the gear shifter only get replaced if it is peeling or isn’t it getting replaced no matter what.
It is getting replaced even if it isn't peeling yet - that's one reason why I think that the part has been (recently) updated.

If you've had it replaced once already under warranty, it seems that you can get replaced again with the updated part.