GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear view mirror

JoeDemo

Passed Driver's Ed
Wouldn't that imply that it is available somewhere? Presumably it's yet another extra like the Ergo seats, which Volkswagen UK in their infinite wisdom have decided not to allow us to part with our hard-earned for.

Not to get off topic, but how did they offer the ergo seats as an option???
Thanks! :eek:

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Not to get off topic, but how did they offer the ergo seats as an option???
Thanks! :eek:

By listing them on the order schedule.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
In that case I'm not sure, I can only say that AFAIK the Ergo seats seem available on the Highline model in many European countries, but not here in the UK - I'm not sure what else we Brits are being deprived of, but there may be other items.

GolfPilot

Ready to race!
I only noticed this the other day. Does anyone know what that is on the reverse (windscreen side) of the rear view mirror? It looks either like some sort of sensor or a LED.

GP

Golfbald

Passed Driver's Ed
I only noticed this the other day. Does anyone know what that is on the reverse (windscreen side) of the rear view mirror? It looks either like some sort of sensor or a LED.

GP
It's a forward facing light sensor, which determines the ambient lighting level. It does a comparison to the light glare from the rear of the car, to determine when to activate the dim. Therefore, the dimming mirror generally only works when it's dark.

My Jag has dimming side mirrors, which are just as effective as the interior mirror.

mikef4uk

Ready to race!
It's a forward facing light sensor, which determines the ambient lighting level. It does a comparison to the light glare from the rear of the car, to determine when to activate the dim. Therefore, the dimming mirror generally only works when it's dark.

My Jag has dimming side mirrors, which are just as effective as the interior mirror.

Plus the bit that does the auto wipers and the auto headlights lives in that bit.

This caught me out on my Audi whilst cleaning the windscreen with the engine running, a quick wipe over the sensor with the wash leather and the wipers nearly had my hand off!

GolfPilot

Ready to race!
Thanks Golfbald.

Mikef4uk, I think you're talking about the rain sensor which is behind the mirror mounting point. The bit I was talking about is part of the mirror itself, built into a square hole at the rear.

GP

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
My Golf Mk.5 (2004) had auto-dimming external mirrors. In fact I managed to hit one of them on an unyielding object (an articulated trailer) which wrecked it causing the escape of a liquid which dripped down the door.... was not easy to remove either.... I was then left with only the drivers side as auto-dimming.

Golfbald

Passed Driver's Ed
Just noticed today, my car does not have an on/off button or LED, like many other brands mentioned.
So, it appears VAG could have saved themselves a fortune by not having them either, as 99.9% of us don't switch the function off, and DW58 would no-longer be frustrated by the LED, and wouldn't need to!
All our Golf's could have been a few pence cheaper, to boot!:D