GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear brake caliper tool question

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I need to replace the rear brake pads & rotors on my 17 Sport with the big brakes from the Performance Package. The piston in the caliper needs to be withdrawn into the caliper in order to fit the new pads. Unlike the front calipers, the use of a compression device to get the piston to retract does not work.
Am I correct in guessing that the rear caliper pistons need to be rotated and compressed simultaneously in order for them to be retracted? If yes, any recommendations on where to source said tool? Any other recommendations or suggestions?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I need to replace the rear brake pads & rotors on my 17 Sport with the big brakes from the Performance Package. The piston in the caliper needs to be withdrawn into the caliper in order to fit the new pads. Unlike the front calipers, the use of a compression device to get the piston to retract does not work.
Am I correct in guessing that the rear caliper pistons need to be rotated and compressed simultaneously in order for them to be retracted? If yes, any recommendations on where to source said tool? Any other recommendations or suggestions?

Yes, it needs to be rotated while compressing. Some parts stores have similar tools available for rent.

Brake Caliper Piston Rewind Tool