GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RAVEN - 2017 GTI SPORT (CSG 6MT)

JacobAllison

Ready to race!
Hello everyone!

My brand new 2017 GTI Sport in Carbon Steel Grey Metallic with the 6MT transmission will be in my hands May 22nd, and I've been spending this week ordering up all the parts to make her awesome.

In my family, we always name our cars, and this one's name is 'Raven'. She's named for the Celtic goddess of war and death- the Morrigan, who often took form as a raven.

I'm a U.S. Navy Sailor, and I ordered this car from Military Auto Sales while on deployment, getting a decent deal with to-door shipping. This will be my first-ever brand-new car I also ordered it with the summer tires.

A little about my history: My very first car was a black, 1994 VR6 Volkswagen Corrado. That car had its engine replaced and ran for not-very-long before the mess of wiring meant I had to junk it, whereupon it was replaced with a Pontiac Fiero which promptly had an Oldsmobile 32-valve V8 installed. Because I apparently had something against reliability when I was 18! After that I owned a MK2 GTI. My family has always owned at least one Volkswagen, including: VW Fox, 2015 VW Jetta, 1989 VW Corrado G60, and a MK5 and MK6 GTI. For the last 5 years I was stationed in Yokosuka, Japan, where I exclusively rode motorcycles. (1988 Honda VTZ-250 and 2011 Honda CBR250R. Really, you don't need more than a 250 in Japan.)

So let's talk about what's going on on this car:
First off, items that have already been purchased and are in-hand, waiting to be installed:

• JB4 - INSTALLED
  • 034 Billet Dogbone Kit - INSTALLED
  • Helix Dark Cherry LED Tails - INSTALLED
  • Raceseng 'Sphereology' Shift Knob - INSTALLED
  • Shorty's Short Shift Custom Lever with 42DD Bushings - INSTALLED
  • Burger Motorsports Flush Mount Kit (15/20mm) - INSTALLED
  • Stage I Clutch Upgrade (To be installed after I wear down the stock clutch a bit) - Purchased
  • deAutoKey Footwell Remote Color Changing LEDs - INSTALLED
  • Monster Mats (Because the Weathertech don't have the GTI logo) - INSTALLED
  • Aeroforce Defroster Vent Gauge Pod - INSTALLED
  • NSP Boost Gauge - INSTALLED
  • Sillguards & Rearguard door and hatch-protection
  • VW Pop-In Window Shades - INSTALLED
  • Blackvue DR650 dual dashcam w/ PowerMagic Pro - INSTALLED
  • ProCLIP Angle-Mount Phone Mount w/ hardwired Oneplus 3 dock - INSTALLED, but removed, looking for another option
  • Klii Motorwerks MK7 Plaid Collection - Purchased
  • US Millworks Tow-Mount License Plate Frame - INSTALLED
  • Badgeskins ABS Warning Delete Stickers - Purchased
  • Lower Engine Cover - INSTALLED
  • Automatic Folding Mirrors - INSTALLED
  • Front Door Hinge Covers (in black) - INSTALLED (but silver)
  • Various VAGCOM tweaks. (Micro-Can)

As you can see, I'm planning to have some fun with this car!
What's up later on?

• New springs (Emmanuel Designs or VWR) - February 2018
  • Rear Anti-Sway Bar
  • Billy Boat Turbo Back Exhaust
  • Downpipe (Undecided) - CTS , February 2018
  • OEM Jack Pad Adapters
  • OEM Underbody Covers
  • Euro-Style Rear Headrests
  • Intercooler upgrade (Undecided)
  • Intake (Undecided)
  • Fog Lights (As soon as I can reliably get a harness)
  • XQB Rear Brace
My job is to document & tell the Navy's story through photo and video journalism. So, I have a lot of video, audio, and photographic equipment at my disposal. That means lots and lots of photos and some videos as well!

I'm still buying up a few parts before we get back into port, so feel free to start the discussion now if you see any 'must-haves' I need to get in. Oh, by the way? Three days after I pick up the car I'll be road-tripping it 1,200 miles across the Southwest from Colorado Springs, Colorado to San Diego, California! Talk about a break-in drive!

The car is being delivered in Colorado because I don't hold California residency and I don't want to. I also want to use the license plates I already own because the numbers are 1 number away from the numbers on my best friend's plates. (We both registered our first cars at the same time!)

Attachments

• 2017_GTI_Sport_CSG.JPG
    2017_GTI_Sport_CSG.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 865
  • Roadtrip.JPG
    Roadtrip.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 857
Last edited:

JacobAllison

Ready to race!
Parts List:

I'm a bit obsessive about tracking data. Even though I don't have the car yet, I've already started buying parts. (Hey, long deployment, 67 days between ports, I needed something to do!) I've carefully tracked all of these parts and you'll see tons of photos once I get home and can unpack them all.

The most up-to-date parts list including purchase parts and purchase locations can be found here:
RAVEN 2017 GTI Aftermarket Parts List

Current running total: $4,425.05

Last edited:

nate704

Go Kart Champion
First of all, thank you for your service!!

and Congrats on your new GTI.

Are you getting out of the Navy? The reason I am asking is that I see a lot of young sailors buy fancy or expensive (more than $20k up to $100k+) cars, and they have to park their babies on the pier side parking lot while they are on either deployments or training out at sea for days to months while their car payments eat up most of their paycheck. This applies for a lot of junior enlisted service members in all branches.
Just be careful out there since there are a lot of people out there who want to take advantage of our young service members' paychecks and more.

JacobAllison

Ready to race!
Thanks for the advice! Luckily, I have a very nice condo here in San Diego with its own private garage. (And a nice sturdy padlock for the garage door.) So, no parking this baby on the pier!

As an E-5, the payments for the car are well within my budget and I timed my loan so it'll be well paid off before my contract expires. (So I'm not trying to pay off a car while also trying to transfer out of the Navy- assuming I don't reenlist again, as at the end of this one I'll be at 12 years.)

And hey, at least I didn't buy a mustang. :p (Sailors first sports-car? They're everywhere over at the lower enlisted barracks and man are those things ugly.)

JacobAllison

Ready to race!
Picked the car up today- a whole weekend early! The dealer was hrest- no holes drilled front or rear, most of the plastic was still on, unwashed, and strut pucks removed. Nice!

Clear Bra is scheduled for next week. So far I've installed the US Millwork license plate holder, deAutoKey footwell LEDs, proclivity mount, which I realized won't work they way I really want it to, and the monster mats (installed? Lol.)

Many things are here at my parents house so I'll ha e to pick what I want to install before the road trip.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

JacobAllison

Ready to race!
Phew. Dash cams installed properly today, Proclip mount hardwired. VW Sunshades installed, Raceseng shift knob installed.

Drove it! Always fun.

So! Yesterday... This car was an overseas sales and the local dealer was just doing a courtesy deliver. So I had to go to them and get the paperwork and take it to the DMV to tax/title/tag the car. When I get there, Christina at the desk spends 20 minutes talking with her boss about my paperwork then tells me I have to go back across town to the dealer to get them to add the mileage to the bill of origin- and get it notarized. I asked if I could just write it in, she says no. (Mind, it's on 2 other pieces of paper in the package- apparently they just weren't 'secure paper'. )

I rush back to the dealer thinking, 'Why would you notarize that???' and talk to them... They get their salesman who's had a lot of experience with these, he calls his contact at the DMV...
Mike: "Hey! I've got one of those military sales cars, no mileage on the origin... Uh-huh, uh-huh..."
Mike: *Grabs the bill of origin, flips it over, writes in mileage, hands it back to me.*

Welp. I did eventually get it all done, but basically at the same time the DMV closed! Phew. I'm also helping my parents pack up their house, so I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on the car or document stuff. Sorry! Nothing particularly new here anyway.

I will say the Covercraft window shade is an absolutely perfect fit. Definitely worth the money.

Tomorrow: BMS Spacers, maybe?

JacobAllison

Ready to race!
Heck yeah! Too bad I stupidly bought the power-hardwired instead of the one that terminates in a USB cable. Working on resolving that now.

Tonight I did some VCDS tweaks-
> ROW coding for xenons
> MFD background to red dots instead of carbon
> Emergency brake flashing
> Passenger Mirror Dip

Oh, yeah, and I installed the Helix-Depo LED tails. Haven't installed the wiring for the euro functionality just yet. Ordered reverse LEDs from DeAutoKey.

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
This is a great build and you have some of the same things I did on my CSG GTI Sport. I'm looking forward to see how the tails come out as those are on my list. One question I have is how are you coding the power mirrors, most 2017s are different than what the coding online shows. I was able to get everything on mine done except closing the mirror on lock option, I also wasn't able to figure out the dip in reverse. How did you go about those?

Can't wait to see more photos.