GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rattle Search and Destroy Mission

MasterBlaster

Car(s)
Golf R MK VII
Had some Scotch Super 88 electrical tape laying around, so I put some on the striker pins for the rear seats and that rattle is gone. Onto the next one! lol
Just seeing this now. Sorry. Re: electrical tape, it can get pretty gooey with high heat. Just a heads up. I use it all the time for home audio repair and it melts and deforms pretty easily. Pro tip, If you ever need to replace it and you want to get rid of the residue, Goof Off or Goo Gone are your friends.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I have to take my hatch apart to locate the rattle back there again, drives me crazy. Always happens arround 2500 rpm.

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
The mot annoying rattle in my Golf sounds like a buzz that comes either from the drivers door or rear drivers side door. I haven’t been able to pinpoint it yet, but it drives me nuts.

yagizfr

Car(s)
Golf 7 1.4 tsi
I have the same issue with my mk7 ,tried wrapping tape to the latch of rear seat but still rattling over bumps at 10-30 mph rattling like pingpong ball in a plastic cup.
Removed every single quickly detachable items in the car, tried seats down nothing changed still rattling.
Help needed...

VWAnt

Car(s)
Golf mk 7.5
My '17 R has developed a nasty rattle that seems to be in the right side of the back seat area. It came on slowly, infrequent a couple of months ago, now it's almost constant on any jiggly pavement.

My first impression was that it sounded like a seat belt buckle noise, plastic clanking on metal. I've checked everything obvious in the cabin and trunk to no avail.

Next step is to install my bride in the back seat while I cruise over some lousy pavement. Perhaps she'll get a fix on it.

Any ideas gentlemen??:confused:
Had same problem with my 1.5 tsi evo. It was driving me nuts. Bit of Gorilla Tape around the catch where the back seat fastens, problem solved.
20210808_161949.jpg

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I've had an intermittent low volume buzzing noise from my dashboard area, with it only being heard only on certain road surfaces here and there. I finally found the source -- that small square plastic part in the center of the defroster vents at the base of the windshield. I pressed on it, moved it around a tiny bit (not shimming it) and the noise has been gone for three days now. Hoping this might help someone.

I'm not sure what the thing is; I'm guessing it's the automatic headlight sensor.

VW Rattle Part.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

yagizfr

Car(s)
Golf 7 1.4 tsi
I've had an intermittent low volume buzzing noise from my dashboard area, with it only being heard only on certain road surfaces here and there. I finally found the source -- that small square plastic part in the center of the defroster vents at the base of the windshield. I pressed on it, moved it around a tiny bit (not shimming it) and the noise has been gone for three days now. Hoping this might help someone.

I'm not sure what the thing is; I'm guessing it's the automatic headlight sensor.

View attachment 224069
I tried to shake it with my hand but it is very stiff didn't even make a sound.
Cables in roof
Play bass heavy music
Dogbone mount
Armrest spring
Fuel line underbody
Sway bar
Passenger seat underside
Folding mirror light
Knee airbag
Harness running in footwell through back
Daylight sensor
These are the things I will check ...
Appreciate if anyone would like to add that can make the mysterious rattle

Turbongr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7
Only rattle I ever had was corrected by removing sunglasses from where they were stored by the rear view mirror.

On the up side they came w/ the car. On the downside they were cheap 7-11 glasses.

Hope this is helpful to someone:D

Also knock wood.

yagizfr

Car(s)
Golf 7 1.4 tsi
Finally,The rattle has been found...
as the exhaust moves up and down rubber bangs itself.
Fixed it now nothing comes inside
Bliss...

Attachments

• 20210902_185909.jpg
    20210902_185909.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 282

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I definitely have what OP is describing also. Left the car with the dealer for a week and they basically told me I was crazy. Have wrapped the rear seat back pins as suggested but still happening. In the meantime, I've got a new one that happens when closing the doors; something vibrating up near the roof. I thought it was the sun visors but I held them and it doesn't seem to be. Anyone ever heard similar?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7z17zxkliqjs8d/Door Rattles.m4a?dl=0

Sc0oter

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 alltrack se
Only rattle I ever had was corrected by removing sunglasses from where they were stored by the rear view mirror.

On the up side they came w/ the car. On the downside they were cheap 7-11 glasses.

Hope this is helpful to someone:D

Also knock wood.
Days of searching for this annoying rattle in the drivers side door.….. my reading glasses in the little cubby left of the steering wheel.