GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quick Review: EQT DSG tune vs Cobb OEM+ vs Cobb Sport

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Hey guys, just wanted to give a quick feedback on my current experience with all 3 TCU tunes. Keep in mind this is personal preference and varies from driving style. This review is keeping more of a focus on daily driving/intown characteristics and less backroad driving.

First EQT
Shift points are pretty spot on, shifts at around 2200 rpm under light throttle and a bit higher around 2500-3000 when you input about 20-30% throttle. Coming to almost a complete stop (Ex: stop sign) the transmission would drop into first vs stock where it would stay in second gear, this mean you will need to be lighter on foot when you reapply that gas pedal, otherwise it will be jerky like a manual car. One very apparent issue i have, it downshifts way too easily (10% throttle input and it'll drop a gear or 2) Followed by an almost immediate upshift if you release the throttle. To me, this is a very big con and not how I would drive a manual car. The constant downshifts with light throttle input followed by an upshift when I let go makes it seem like the transmission doesn't know what it's doing. I think if eqt corrected this issue it would be near perfect.

Second is Cobb OEM+
Not much to say, feels like stock but pairs decently well with EQT stage 2. However, under partial throttle (40%-50%) I find 4th, 5th, and 6th would lug instead of downshifting 1 gear. With that much boost from stage 2 you really feel it lugging through the cabin at times. Major downfall with luging otherwise this would make a very OEM feel with stage 2 power.

Lastly Cobb Sport
Currently my favourite out of the 3 but not perfect. Also downshifts to 1st when almost at a complete stop just like EQT so it can be jerky, have to be light on the pedal when reapplying throttle. Gear shifts seem to be more dependent on speed and will downshift when I slow down past certain speeds which I think is a major downfall. For example: it will shift to 6th at 90kph and if you drop down to 88kph it will downshift to 5th when it's not needed (it does so very smoothly though). However, it doesn't drop down 1 or 2 gears with just 10% throttle. You need to apply about 20%-30% throttle for it to downshift, which in my personal opinion is about right (gives you room to modulate and do medium speed passes without always needing to downshift). It also doesn't upshift right away as soon as you release the throttle. Throttle isn't as sensitive as EQT and easier to modulate without tiring your foot out. I also haven't noticed gear hunting as others have mentioned.

That's my current overview and experience with the 3 TCU tunes so far. Keep in mind I did the dsg relearn in each of these maps. EQT TCU is a no go for me just because of the throttle sensitivity and the way it downshifts too easily with throttle input. The almost instantaneous upshifts when you release the throttle as well gets me. Not sure if others have noticed the same feedback as me but I haven't seen any. Both EQT and Cobb sport tcu tunes do make the car feel lighter on its foot and more eager.

Their stage 2 ECU however is absolutely fantastic. Very smooth just as others have mentioned and there is a HUGE improvement over the entire RPM range. 3rd gear is where the money is, pulls like an absolutely freight train. Feels like I can take on almost any car on my daily drives. Overall, Cobb Accessport + EQT is a big win with all its adjustability, monitoring,l capabilities, and resale value.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I also have EQT's stage 2...but I did not get their DSG tune.

I've been playing around with all three of the Cobb DGS profiles. Lol...the Aggressive one drinks fuel like no tomorrow...it won't shift into 6th unless you get above 5800 rpm! The Sport is the best of the three profiles. But I'm using the OEM+. I like that one the best for driving on surface roads. It does feel like it lugs in the high gears...but I'll just toggle the shifter into S if I need to get on the throttle. With the DSG in S mode...the car shifts faster than it did with the stock DSG tune.. The Sport Profile feels like that there isn't much of a difference between D and S modes. The 400 rpm higher shift point also gives a noticeable reduction in mpg. Driving in traffic at low speeds, the car will just hang in gear and not shift up.

I've also read about the gear hunting...I've only felt it with the Aggressive profile on the highway. It was going between 5th and 6th. I think that's because it won't shift to the top gear unless you're above 5800 rpm.

Last edited:

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Check your throttle sensitivity coding and revert it to stock/default if it’s been modified. That’s likely your issue.

Also, the TCU tune does not define throttle sensitivity… that’s in the ECU tune.

Thanks
— Ed

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Check your throttle sensitivity coding and revert it to stock/default if it’s been modified. That’s likely your issue.

Also, the TCU tune does not define throttle sensitivity… that’s in the ECU tune.

Thanks
— Ed

Hey Ed, I'll get it checked out with ob11. Is this the same as throttle coding you are talking about?

1681092137847.png

MK7GTIJACOB

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, just wanted to give a quick feedback on my current experience with all 3 TCU tunes. Keep in mind this is personal preference and varies from driving style. This review is keeping more of a focus on daily driving/intown characteristics and less backroad driving.

First EQT
Shift points are pretty spot on, shifts at around 2200 rpm under light throttle and a bit higher around 2500-3000 when you input about 20-30% throttle. Coming to almost a complete stop (Ex: stop sign) the transmission would drop into first vs stock where it would stay in second gear, this mean you will need to be lighter on foot when you reapply that gas pedal, otherwise it will be jerky like a manual car. One very apparent issue i have, it downshifts way too easily (10% throttle input and it'll drop a gear or 2) Followed by an almost immediate upshift if you release the throttle. To me, this is a very big con and not how I would drive a manual car. The constant downshifts with light throttle input followed by an upshift when I let go makes it seem like the transmission doesn't know what it's doing. I think if eqt corrected this issue it would be near perfect.

Second is Cobb OEM+
Not much to say, feels like stock but pairs decently well with EQT stage 2. However, under partial throttle (40%-50%) I find 4th, 5th, and 6th would lug instead of downshifting 1 gear. With that much boost from stage 2 you really feel it lugging through the cabin at times. Major downfall with luging otherwise this would make a very OEM feel with stage 2 power.

Lastly Cobb Sport
Currently my favourite out of the 3 but not perfect. Also downshifts to 1st when almost at a complete stop just like EQT so it can be jerky, have to be light on the pedal when reapplying throttle. Gear shifts seem to be more dependent on speed and will downshift when I slow down past certain speeds which I think is a major downfall. For example: it will shift to 6th at 90kph and if you drop down to 88kph it will downshift to 5th when it's not needed (it does so very smoothly though). However, it doesn't drop down 1 or 2 gears with just 10% throttle. You need to apply about 20%-30% throttle for it to downshift, which in my personal opinion is about right (gives you room to modulate and do medium speed passes without always needing to downshift). It also doesn't upshift right away as soon as you release the throttle. Throttle isn't as sensitive as EQT and easier to modulate without tiring your foot out. I also haven't noticed gear hunting as others have mentioned.

That's my current overview and experience with the 3 TCU tunes so far. Keep in mind I did the dsg relearn in each of these maps. EQT TCU is a no go for me just because of the throttle sensitivity and the way it downshifts too easily with throttle input. The almost instantaneous upshifts when you release the throttle as well gets me. Not sure if others have noticed the same feedback as me but I haven't seen any. Both EQT and Cobb sport tcu tunes do make the car feel lighter on its foot and more eager.

Their stage 2 ECU however is absolutely fantastic. Very smooth just as others have mentioned and there is a HUGE improvement over the entire RPM range. 3rd gear is where the money is, pulls like an absolutely freight train. Feels like I can take on almost any car on my daily drives. Overall, Cobb Accessport + EQT is a big win with all its adjustability, monitoring,l capabilities, and resale value.
I personally found the EQT Stage II TCU Tune perfect. I just got the XL / Stage III TCU Tune and haven't driven it enough to gather an opinion, although from my limited experience with it, it seems paired well with the later spool or the XL over the IS20.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I had a 2015 stage 2 with EQT TCU tune and had nothing but complaints. I'm now in a 2019 with the 7 speed and the OEM TCU programming in sport mode is spot on for me. The difference between this and the 2015's 6 speed DSG programming are night and day. Shift points are exactly where I'd shift in a manual, up and downshifting behavior exactly how I'd want it to be. If I ever tune this car I don't think I would touch the DSG.