GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question for anyone that has run staggered Porsche wheels on their mk7/mk7.5

intromission76

Car(s)
E-Golf
I'm at stock height, and will be running a set of Porsche Turbo Twists II (17") off of a 996 Carrera 2.
The wheel specs are front 17x7, 55 offset and rear 17x9, 55 offset. When I ran them on my mk4 Jetta Wagon, I used 25mm adapters and if I recall the rears poked out a little further, which I was fine with.

What would be the recommended adapter thickness for mk7 and mk7.5 for 5x112 to 5x130? I imagine the staggered look would be kind of nice on the golf. Anyone have suggestions on a manufacturer to go with besides the pricier H&R versions?

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Why would I?
Cause Porsche and other rwd cars run wider rears with narrower fronts for increased traction to the drive wheels and to limit oversteer characteristics associated with rwd drivetrains. Im guessing the person asking is someone who priorities function over fashion so that’s where the question comes from since it’s a fwd car and Already had understeer characteristics)

To answer the other questions it’s about 5-8mm variance between front and rear to get the same look of flushness with the tires to the fenders.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Ahhhh gotcha. Thanks for schooling me. I'm normally a function over form guy, but admittedly when I picked these up years ago at a great price, it was the looks I was going for. Appreciate the note on looking flush. So I'll do 20mm in the back and 25 in the front.
It’s reversed, on the mk7s to get the same “flushness” to the front and rear fenders the rear needs to poke 5mm more. For a TRUE square fit the need to match. So with that 7” front at et55 you would need a 25mm spacer just to make the face of the wheel match a 9” at et55

For the rear at 9” there are more factors to consider like your suspension setup and ride height, alignment settings, tire size selection (very important with a wider wheel like 9”). Cause if you are going for a stretch tire look you can fit a 9” with ease and not have a “pokey” fitment. While it’s somewhat subjective even a 9” with a 245/235 at et35 is considered a poke fit, but I think at et40 you risked rubbing the inners with a meaty tire.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Didn't realize the filler neck was an issue for the GTI. My understanding is the brakes and suspension parts are absolutely the same. So 20mm should do me good then. Would 25mm on the fronts bring them closer in line with the rears>? I just ran them as is before, but I'd like to put more thought into making them sit evenly this time.
With (very) rough measurements I couldn't be sure I was going to clear it with 18x9s and 255s, but depending on what your goals are/what you plan to do there are a lot of variables there. Honestly I would roll with what @El_bigote_AJ says (his setup is very wide and very 🤌)