GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about seat adjustment

GTITX1

Ready to race!
Have a question for the current owners. I know that US spec may be slightly different, but was curious. Currently a gripe I have with my mk6 gti is that I cannot tilt the lower portion of the seat, so it makes for a pretty steep angle with my hips sitting lower than my knees regardless of seat height. Due to this, it really aggravates my lower back pain. My question is, do the seats in the R offer this kind of adjustment? Can you tilt the lower part of the seat (the part your butt sits on) as well as the back support?

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
Have a question for the current owners. I know that US spec may be slightly different, but was curious. Currently a gripe I have with my mk6 gti is that I cannot tilt the lower portion of the seat, so it makes for a pretty steep angle with my hips sitting lower than my knees regardless of seat height. Due to this, it really aggravates my lower back pain. My question is, do the seats in the R offer this kind of adjustment? Can you tilt the lower part of the seat (the part your butt sits on) as well as the back support?

I think this also depends on which model you get. I have the autobahn package and it comes with fully adjustable leather seats. I don't think the normal plaid seats will have the fully adjustable.

I can tilt my lower seat , up and down , lumber support , and back tilt.

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
The R will most likely have what your looking for. I had a mk6 R before and it had the same type of adjustments my new mk7 has ( autobahn ver)

rapport25

Go Kart Champion

If this is such an issue, I suggest staying away from the Gti's. You are buying a VW with sport style seats. There number 1 is to keep you planted firmly in the seat.

What you are describing is simply a sporting posture, which the VW seats do very well.

It sounds like you need a flatter seat, which is more a comfort seat that sport seat. On the Gti seats you do get lower lumbar adjustment. Both my driver and passenger are set to full lumbar for the lower back.

For me, these seats are perfect as per my other sports cars.

Hth's Rappy :cool:

Last edited:

GGray

Ready to race!
If this is such an issue, I suggest staying away from the Gti's. You are buying a VW with sport style seats. There number 1 is to keep you planted firmly in the seat.

What you are describing is simply a sporting posture, which the VW seats do very well.

It sounds like you need a flatter seat, which is more a comfort seat that sport seat. On the Gti seats you do get lower lumbar adjustment. Both my driver and passenger are set to full lumbar for the lower back.

For me, these seats are perfect as per my other sports cars.

Hth's Rappy :cool:

I think you missed the point.. He is not talking about the bolsters, or aggressive seat at all.. He is talking about seat rake front to rear. For some people seat rake can cause a fair amount of pain in lower back or from siatic nerves.... Which I have... If the seat is raked to much to the rear my left leg hurts so bad I can barely stand it...

OP. Very good question....

GTITX1

Ready to race!
Thanks for the reply. Yes it isn't the bolsters or even the firm ride of the car that aggravates my back, it is the angle of the lower seat. Unfortunately this was not something I noticed when I bought the car, and didn't really drive the car on long trips till 2 years after I bought it. I noticed it sometimes but I wasn't driving it enough for it to become a problem. Now I have to raise the seat so far to get it nearly flat that my head is almost out the sunroof. I simple angle adjustments on the lower part of the seat fixes my issue. Happy to know the R will likely be an option.

Yomny1

Ready to race!
And to add the "this is a sports car so its meant to keep you planted" well it doesn't, maybe side to side but its pretty common for be to brake and slide forward so the tilt adjustment wouldn't be a bad idea. I didn't know the autobahn had this feature. Oh well, no sense in complaining but to the OP maybe a little wedge or custom cushion could help decrease the rake.