GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project Long Roof: APEX's Golf Sportwagen Build Thread

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
This is great. I just put my GTI back up to stock ride height on Koni Special Active dampers. The next step is to go to a 17" wheel and just really lean into full comfort/rally mode haha. This spec wheel and tire looks like it will help fill up the wheel gap a bit and add comfort. The center bore on these is 57.1, yes?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This is great. I just put my GTI back up to stock ride height on Koni Special Active dampers. The next step is to go to a 17" wheel and just really lean into full comfort/rally mode haha. This spec wheel and tire looks like it will help fill up the wheel gap a bit and add comfort. The center bore on these is 57.1, yes?
Correct 57.1

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion

Correct 57.1

Perfect, I really want to go the direct replacement route with no hub rings and be able to ditch my spacers. Thanks, Jim!

Bingo! That is correct, these wheels are 5x112 with a 57.1mm CB and were developed specifically for the MK7 chassis fitment-wise. With that said, no centering/hub rings or even spacers will be required for a flush and aggressive direct-fit setup. We are also currently running a Group Buy for these wheels, which you can check out via the following link: APEX SM-10 Group Buy

The max discount will be $300 off plus free shipping, so purchasing a set through the Group Buy will be the best way to save compared to purchasing through our retail website.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

-Geirsen

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Bingo! That is correct, these wheels are 5x112 with a 57.1mm CB and were developed specifically for the MK7 chassis fitment-wise. With that said, no centering/hub rings or even spacers will be required for a flush and aggressive direct-fit setup. We are also currently running a Group Buy for these wheels, which you can check out via the following link: APEX SM-10 Group Buy

The max discount will be $300 off plus free shipping, so purchasing a set through the Group Buy will be the best way to save compared to purchasing through our retail website.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

-Geirsen
Thanks, Geirsen. It's still way too early for me, but I've made a note on these for the future for sure. I need to wear out my current tires before I feel like it would be financially responsible to switch haha.

It is great to see another manufacturer interested in developing a direct replacement option for us. I feel like when I had my MKV it was pretty much only Neuspeed.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Kinda reminds me of...haha

20220111_113942.jpg

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
I see that the tire you’re using is a taller sidewall than the factory spec, correct?
Did you have to re-calibrate the speedometer?

The 235/45-17 tire size I am using is actually well within spec for the factory overall rolling diameters, so no wheel speed issues here. In fact, a 235/45-17 is even a touch shorter in comparison to a 235/40-18, which is a very popular tire size for these cars.

-Geirsen

cptnhoek

Car(s)
2017 AllTrack DSG
Last weekend, we had the opportunity to do a MK7 wagon-themed photoshoot up in the mountains of SW WA. The shoot included our very own Project Long Roof (17' GSW), along with a friend's 17' Alltrack, as well.

Here is a rundown of the specs for each car:

White 2017 Golf Sportwagen:

Wheels:
17x8.5" ET43 SM-10s in Satin Bronze
Tires: 235/45-17 Michelin Pilot AS4s
Suspension: Stock

Black 2017 Alltrack:

Wheels:
17x8.5" ET43 SM-10s in Satin Bronze
Tires: 235/45-17 Michelin Pilot AS4s
Suspension: Ohlins R&T (max low)

Enjoy!

-Geirsen

Whose AT with the R&T setup? Curious on specs for those as they claim they're not making them for the AT aka did they just go with the R set up or get some custom spring rates?

Both look great as always!

omer333

Passed Driver's Ed
The 235/45-17 tire size I am using is actually well within spec for the factory overall rolling diameters, so no wheel speed issues here. In fact, a 235/45-17 is even a touch shorter in comparison to a 235/40-18, which is a very popular tire size for these cars.

-Geirsen
The reason I asked is it looks like your wheel + tire combo fills the wheel well pretty good. You’re still on the stock suspension?

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Whose AT with the R&T setup? Curious on specs for those as they claim they're not making them for the AT aka did they just go with the R set up or get some custom spring rates?

Both look great as always!
The Alltrack is running a Golf R spec Ohlins coilover kit. No changes to spring rates or anything else that I know of.

The reason I asked is it looks like your wheel + tire combo fills the wheel well pretty good. You’re still on the stock suspension?

Yup! Still on the standard 4motion GSW suspension. That is part of the reason I went with the 17"s and the 235/45-17 tire size, I feel like it does a great job filling in the wheel gap for how tall the ride height is.

-Geirsen

Spade

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen
Geirsen it's Terrence. What did you end up doing tune wise? I'm struggling with mine.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Geirsen it's Terrence. What did you end up doing tune wise? I'm struggling with mine.
Hey Terrence,

Right now the car has an APR Stage 1 ECU and DSG tune. I decided to go with APR mainly because I have a connection with one of their dealers and due to the fact that the car is still under CPO warranty (not technically covered but a lot of VW dealers are familiar with APR stuff). While this is my first time tuning a VW, I have gone through plenty of tuning shenanigans with BMWs over the years. The APR software is nice because it's a "flash and forget" setup that doesn't require any monitoring and the throttle/shift maps feel similar to OEM when driving around town or in traffic. Power-wise, the ECU tune provides a solid bump over stock with boost building much earlier in the powerband. The DSG tune has made manual shifting quite a bit more responsive and there is a very noticeable decrease in lag during WOT redline shifts. Launch control is also quite fun!

Hope this helps!

-Geirsen