GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problematic 2016 GTD

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Hi folks,

Not having the best of times with my GTD....having gone from a 64 plate one that was peerless was hoping for much of the same but sadly having some ongoing issues with this one....nothing really major but irritating and giving enough cause for it to go into the dealers for the 2nd time in less than 3 months......

* wrong vent trim fitted at factory (sorted)

* tailgate wiring poorly fitted (sorted)

* Car randomly judders....has gone into limp home once..threatened to do the same one time since but has left me wondering when it will do it again

* The infotainment system keeps playing up......either the screen doesnt come on or it does but there is no sound....intermittent but has happened several times since ive had the car. Its also lost DAB once completely and had to be restarted to get it back

* The infotainment this morning suggested the Navigation Data was invalid...has never done this before....after about 10-15 seconds error disappeared as if never there

* when locked the Alarm light now stays permanently lit (well ive not stood around long enough to check TBH) so indicative there is now a fault with the Alarm too.

* Passenger rear lamp cluster ill fitted....somewhat wondering if it might be letting some damp in and causing some of the electrical issues but no signs of damp in the rear of the car from what I can tell.

Not overly impressed as you'd expect a VW to be pretty well bolted together. Starting to think mine is a Friday afternoon car.....glad its a company car as if Id sank 28.5k of my own money into it would have been v disappointed by now

Has anyone else with a newer GTD encountered any of the same?

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Cheers I still love the thing and it hasnt (touch wood) properly let me down at any point but it has rather marred the new car experience as you can imagine.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Sorry you're having a bad time with your GTD. I'll have had mine 2 years in March and so far it hasn't put a foot wrong, I've not had a single issue with it.

Thinking about it, I've had 3 golfs now and I've only had one unscheduled visit to the stealer in the last 7 years. My mk6 had a fault with the A/C, it was finally tracked to a pin hole in the condenser that was sorted under warranty.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
there lovely cars aren't they whilst i love the power the inside is such a nice place to be

How have VW been with you about the issues?

Yeah really nice. Bang per buck about the best warm hatch on the road I think...nearly all the positives of a GTI with less running costs...not much to dislike at all. For me foregoing the red detailing and having the twin side exit pipes and Nogaro (best looking) wheels the GTD looks better to my eye but thats all a matter of opinion.

I got VW UK involved with the vent trim and tailgate wiring issue, could not fault them or the dealer. As a consequence of that, have a good rapport with the service manager so (so far) Ive been v well looked after.

I also hastened to add...the car has an annoying dash rattle too...I think possibly caused by/is the soundaktor. Add that to the list haha

dickt

Ready to race!
Keep a camera/smartphone to hand when there are issues. Take videos or photos. Too often, dealers can't/won't replicate problems.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Sorry you're having a bad time with your GTD. I'll have had mine 2 years in March and so far it hasn't put a foot wrong, I've not had a single issue with it.

Thinking about it, I've had 3 golfs now and I've only had one unscheduled visit to the stealer in the last 7 years. My mk6 had a fault with the A/C, it was finally tracked to a pin hole in the condenser that was sorted under warranty.

Cheers Chris43. Its ironic that I swapped it for an older well used (25k mile) one that had been utterly faultless...only because I was given the option to order new and have one with the MY16 spec improvements. In some respects Id wished I kept it as it had a couple of minor dinks, wheel kerbings and was far less precious about it :)

I had a Mk5 Golf that was more or less perfect bar a broken glovebox (that probably had something to do with me hitting a badger at 70mph on a bypass and suitably wrecking the car otherwise).....also a Mk6 GT 2.0 TDI which as it turns out wasnt a paragon of reliability but nothing quite like this...like you my AC failed on that one....but was a weak point on the Mk6 I gather.

The irony is that the three Skodas I have owned more recently have been more reliable than the VW's on the whole.....the one I have currently (Mk3 Octavia 150 TDI estate) has been faultless for 22 months/29k miles.

8250rpm

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the same problem with the music. It all comes on but there is no sound. Have to turn it off and back on. Happens about once a fortnight. No big deal really. Also had the limp mode come in after the brakes slammed on thinking i was going to hit something. Turned car off and back on again and touch wood, not happened again.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Well the Alarm is working again....after driving it home from work the issue is gone...rather all behaving as expected at the moment.

daveo2

My current GTD 2 years old March 2016 and previous Golf's have been faultless, i am looking at getting another Golf at the end of next year. Has anybody seen the new MK8 GTI looks the nuts.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
For anyone remotely interested.......

Full diagnostic run on the car, no fault found and no stored codes even though the car went into limp. Dont know what thats all about but guess its just one of those glitches.

The infotainment received a software update (that took hours aparently) and so far so good. I think even the DAB reception and FM switching may have improved too.

To further diagnose the dash rattle was going to be a dash out job.....told them in simple terms to just leave it. I suspect something is just vibrating against something within the dash or maybe the soundaktor has become a little noisy as when its disabled (and so sans-vibrations) the rattle more or less disappears.

The rear passenger side lamp cluster was confirmed as poorly alligned at factory and refitted but confirmed it hadnt been letting in at all which is good.

Its been absolutely fine since getting it back so fingers crossed that continues.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
FWIW our estate had a problem with the passenger side rear light cluster that resulted in it burning out a bulb and melting part of the holder.
We have also had minor issues with the entertainment system and as per your experience "no fault found". And exactly as per your experience they did an update/reset on it and it seems, so far, to be much more rapid to switch on than it used to be.

martin.bainbridge.98

Ready to race!
There's meant to be another update due for the infotainment system at end of month I've had issues for 4 months and been having some fairly challenging discussions with VW as there answers are at best vague sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk