GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Price negotiations for a GTI (Canada-US)

Phil1

Ready to race!
Hi guys,

By how much were you able to reduce the price compared to MSRP after having negotiated with your VW dealer ? ( your answer can be in $ amount or %)

Thanks for your feedbacks !

stigsfasthatch

Passed Driver's Ed
I negotiated for a 2 door DSG S model with a "desperate" to sell VWs dealer. In the end I got the car $23,838. They then claimed they couldn't find a two door like they said and only a four door (which I was fine with) was available and wanted to bump the price up. I said I wouldn't pay a cent more and they agreed to keep the price as is. MSRP for the model I bought was around 26K

Laurus

Don't know about GTI's but for my 1.8 tsi auto with multi function wheel i got 1500 off plus the monster mats. Which probably isn't much at all but it's well within my budget so i decided screw it

Phil1

Ready to race!
I was at my local dealer to try a 5 doors manual GTI this week. The guy knew that I was not ready to buy it because I wanted to try a DSG first that was not available that day. However, I asked him about the price and without insisting he directly reduces his price by 1,000$ from MSRP. So I think it should be a minimum.

Last edited:

zvwggtip09

Passed Driver's Ed
For US, use the VW Partner Purchase Program, $500 under invoice. Signed up with SCCA for full year membership at $85, I just had it applied on my order.

Last edited:

Z27

Ready to race!
For US, use the VW Partner Purchase Program, $500 under invoice. Signed up with SCCA for full year membership at $85, I just had it applied on my order.

Did you apply it while making the order or did you update your order later on?

N10S

Ready to race!
$1,500 under invoice (not msrp sticker) for an autobahn with no lighting package. Purchased end of month from a dealer I have purchased 4 previous cars from and from a sales manager I know from a past VW dealership where I had purchased 11 cars from previously. The sales manager was working to meet a volume sales deal for the month, and with past relationship and purchases I got a killer deal. It didn't hurt that I really wanted bi-xenon and this was his last autobahn in stock but no lighting option.

I have purchased/owned 60 vehicles since I was 15, and getting a great deal on a car requires a variety of things and the dealership and sales manager have to be influenced to sell based on their business metrics or corporate incentives at the time, their inventory and the availability of that particular car, and your relationship with the dealership and sales manager. If you have a record of buying cars from them you can expect loyalty back. If you are a first time buyer know the true cost of the car at invoice and also factor in the dealerships "hold-back" which typically can vary from $500-800.00.

Over the years I have realized that you will win some and lose some each at varying degrees. Usually it boils down to how badly the dealer wants to sell the car and how badly you want the car. Never, ever go in with a "I have to have this car"attitude. That's a sure fire way to pay too much for the car. Also be ready to get your own financing. This recent purchase the finance guy presented a 4% finance deal. I told him I would just get my own and knew I could get 2.9% and he miraculously found the same rate. The point is that dealers make money off of financing and the higher the rate the better of they are. If I go outside to procure financing they get nothing. Most people know this but just in case I wanted to share that as well.

Z27

Ready to race!
When you go in to finalize numbers and such is when it's applied.

Numbers have already been discussed when I put in the order. It's $900 over invoice but below market value.

I guess to N10S' point, I have no relationship with the dealer and/or manager and it will be my first car so I am feeling the full cost :D

zvwggtip09

Passed Driver's Ed
The VW Partner Purchase Program is a good deal. Don't fall into the dealer's excuses, they're not losing money, VW will pay them whatever they're making when they're selling it to you, which from what I understand is MSRP. If they won't honor it, go to another dealer, do not settle!

If they say they'll honor it, have it in writing so that when the paperwork is finalized, they can't just remove it.

What the dealer is losing, specially if you're ordering a special car, like maybe a GTI with Perf Pack is they're losing on the potential markup they can charge for such an in demand car. Allocations for the 1st few weeks of the GTI/PP have already been filled.

Ryan909

Passed Driver's Ed
Stigs I'm gonna buy a mk7 just like for the same price do you think you could of got it lower?

Sent from my iPhone bitch using Tapatalk

stigsfasthatch

Passed Driver's Ed
Stigs I'm gonna buy a mk7 just like for the same price do you think you could of got it lower?

Sent from my iPhone bitch using Tapatalk

I feel like I got the absolute lowest I could, I shopped for a month between 8 dealerships and then spent 4 hours at the one who gave me the lowest quote lowering it more. However it depends on the dealerships in your area and how desperate they are to move units. Use TrueCar.com to just get baseline number and go in with that as ammo, also be willing to walk away.