GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power supply for auxiliary devices.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
OK - here goes ... ...

I think this is what you are after.

Besides your cable, you'll need one of these which will only cost you a couple of quid, plus a suitable fuse. For a suitable cable I suggest one of the Lindy range, you've got your Mini/Micro USB plus at one end and can fit the other end to the piggy-back fuse adaptor.

This method will enable you to have your camera or other device mounted on top of the dash and still remove it to secure out-of-view storage when the car is parked in full view to prevent temptation of some light-fingered Chav who happens to be passing.

Let us know how you get on.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
b) cable coming out of the MDI cubby hole

c) across the bottom of the dashboard, behind the steering wheel

Interesting fuel range displayed there, mine shows 330 for a full tank.

JCJ

Ready to race!
Excellent information. Thanks! I will let you know how I get on as soon as I get delivery of my MK7. Less than 10 week to go now.

RealmOfConfusion

Ready to race!
Interesting fuel range displayed there, mine shows 330 for a full tank.

I filled up with some of the 99-octane fuel and had just been on a long journey, so the current mpg was pretty good (better than I usually get with short drives to and from work each day.

When I filled up, I think the fuel range was actually 400 (or maybe even 405).

It is more expensive, but one of my work colleagues who's a real petrol head swears by the stuff. He usually switches between 95 and 99 and refuels at half a tank, so on average, he's probably using 97-octane :)

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Mine was showing 450 miles on Saturday morning on the way to Aberdeen, it had started off at 405 when I filled up. That was with Sainsbury's Super Unleaded which I use interchangeably with Tesco's Super. I noticed my fuel consumption improved markedly in the Golf Mk6 when I changed from Unleaded to Super Unleaded.

JCJ

Ready to race!
I have always used Tesco Super Unleaded - Momentum. Whilst it is more expensive I seem to get far better economy than previous 1.4 and better than mates Golf with same engine etc etc.

I get 60 mpg on a regular 16 mile route across A and B roads for 12 or so miles and 4 miles in urban area in traffic. Not bad really.

Only downside for me is that Tesco which is 16 miles away is the only fuel station to sell super unleaded within a 40 miles radius of where I live, but then rural Devon there are few garages in this 40 mile radius anyway.

Last edited:

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I'm in a similar situation in rural Scotland, with the only choices locally being Tesco, Asda, Jet and Esso, compounded by the Esso station only having one pump for Super Unleaded. Luckily the local Tesco has four rows of two pumps all with Unleaded/Super Unleaded/Diesel. We also shop once every two weeks in Sainbury's 20 miles along the coast, so I fill up with Super at Tesco/Sainsburys depending on where I am and who's offering discount vouchers.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I filled up with some of the 99-octane fuel and had just been on a long journey, so the current mpg was pretty good (better than I usually get with short drives to and from work each day.

When I filled up, I think the fuel range was actually 400 (or maybe even 405).

It is more expensive, but one of my work colleagues who's a real petrol head swears by the stuff. He usually switches between 95 and 99 and refuels at half a tank, so on average, he's probably using 97-octane :)

I had to pop to Hinckley this evening from Bham, when I set off the range was on 285, then went up as the journey progressed, returned home and the range is on 285 :) however the guage has now dropped to the 1st main marker, 36mpg so I can't complain.

Kevmor

Passed Driver's Ed
Add a fuse.

Hi folks
I've used add a fuse and a hardwire kit previously on A3, A4 and a couple of golfs. Use fuse only live when ignition is live such as rear wash wipe.
All components readily available ebay, amazon etc. really simple and cheap but most of all neat.image.jpg

Last edited:

DW58

Go Kart Champion

Kevmor

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi
Connect red wire of hardwire kit to add a fuse, add a crimp terminal to black wire to create earth connection. Unplug fuse from fuse box. Insert add a fuse in to space left. Insert fuse into connection on the add a fuse. Terminate earth lug to suitable earth point.
Connect mini usb into sat nav to check that all has been installed correctly and unit powers up. Disconnect from sat nav and find suitable route for cable to where ever you place your satnav. It's really easy.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Thanks - I've got one of those fuse fitting gizmos.

As you may have read above, I had been using a power feed from a USB MDI cable via a Garmin cable, but the power-feed is very unreliable and cuts out, so it's either a feed like this from the fusebox, or from the stupidly-placed 12v socket.

N.B. What is a Crimp Terminal, one end is connected to the black cable, where does the other end go?

Kevmor

Passed Driver's Ed

Crimp terminals(various)image.jpg

Usually use the ring or fork undo a screw add washer underneath for better earth put screw through ring and washer tighten up......simples.....