GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possibly Replacing My GTI

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Thank you all for your opinions.

To give you a little background I had Subarus before I bought the GTI. The last Subaru I had was an STI with a built engine so I know how brittle the ej25s can be haha. I agree GTI has much more refined interior but the newer VA Subarus have interiors I can live with.

I have been getting bored of the car and saw a friend's GTI get rear ended which made me wonder what would have happened if he had rear passengers.....plus the boss lady and I are planning a baby so I was looking to replace the GTI with something bigger, which was why I was considering the 330i wagon as well.

I did consider the Veloster N but it is about the same size of the GTI...and I would love an M240i but that would be a little too small for me as well.

For now, I will hold on to the GTI a bit longer and get an accessport to flash it. We shall see how long that will keep me from trying to replace the GTI.

@BadHombre760 You said you knew some people that bought newer STI who had regrets. Do you know what they don't like about the STIs besides the gas mileage??

3 door GTI and a 128i owner with a 1 year old. We are doing just fine and i get to enjoy driving my paid off cars and not taking on an auto loan!

Besides, when my kid is older he will have fun jumping into the back seat like I did in my father’s GTI!!! Opening back doors are for the commoners of this world 😜

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
chitimon87, you made the right call. I have a simple EQT Stage 1 91 octane OTS tune. It's quite fun being nearly the fastest front drive car on the road.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
chitimon87, you made the right call. I have a simple EQT Stage 1 91 octane OTS tune. It's quite fun being nearly the fastest front drive car on the road.
I'm glad you're happy with your car. But really? Nearly the fastest front wheel drive on the road?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
WRX, not so sure, but STI, 100%. I paid 29k for my new 05 STi, drove and tracked for 3 years, sold it for 26.5k. Bought 08 STI for 30k, traded it in 3 years later for 26k.

Every dollar I gain in resale, I burned in gas though. lol.
these are amazing numbers (y)

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
@BadHombre760 You said you knew some people that bought newer STI who had regrets. Do you know what they don't like about the STIs besides the gas mileage??
The STI is in a weird space right now... it's not really the best at anything anymore except for exhaust sound, which Subaru has already eliminated the rumble from the WRX and will most likely do on the new STI. Stock tune isn't very good (pulls timing a lot) and lots of turbo lag, especially by modern standards. Even with the 17 year old engine it's still quick enough to keep up in its class but it's not the Holy Grail of tuner cars like it used to be, especially now with competition like the CTR, Focus RS, Golf R, etc. Plus as far as it being a comfortable daily, it's probably at the bottom of the list in its class (RS might be worse). My neighbor, for example, prefers to drive his 30+ year old e30 beamer 95% of the time over his 2018 (19?) STI

A rarer but shocking case: I spoke to one guy who is actually suing Subaru because he bought a brand new STI that was having tranny problems that they wouldn't fix. I spoke to him sometime late-2019 and he said his court date was in May, which I can only assume has been pushed back due to the lockdowns. He was bummed out that he bought the car to have fun in but ended up not being able to mod or drive it hard in fear that the tranny issue would get worse and Subie would pin the blame on him but in the meantime he's still making payments every month, for well over a year.

Last edited:

Ghawk

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2019 GLI
M2 Competition. There is no substitute.

I'll let myself out.
Three GTI’s and one GLI now looking for the next toy. Been looking at an M2 as well. I like the 2 door body style with the easier entry/exit (I am old and tall and hate the B post on almost any 4 door).

scotthilly

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
Hey all I have a bit of a dilemma and was wondering if anyone else was in my shoes.

I have a 15 GTI SE DSG with koni yellows and eibach prokit. Rest of the car is stock.

I've had the car for 3 years now and my car ADHD is kicking in.....

I am considering replacing the GTI with 20 WRX, 20 STI or 17 330i wagon with M sport package...I am also considering keeping the GTI for a bit longer and getting an APR stg1 tune. The car is my daily with occasional track duty.

Has anyone been in my shoes and what have you ultimately decided???
I would seriously, seriously, seriously think long and hard before picking up the 330 wagon.
For the F30 generation, all xdrive cars (and therefore all wagons) have a raised height and base suspension regardless of packages. They really do not drive very well - I’m not kidding when I say my mom drove an X1 and a 330 Wagon and preferred the X1, and I was there aside her. Might I suggest an A4 allroad, or even A5 sportback? My dad had an F30 340i M Sport RWD and believe it or not, it handled worse than his new Stelvio and had dead steering.

just my 2 cents! 330 wagon is awesome looking, but it’ll fall way behind an STI or even an R.

tyvanwie

Car(s)
2015 GTI
I had a 2016 WRX before, fully loaded, and can honestly say I would take my GTI over it any day of the week. I loved that car, but I think the gti is just a far better package overall for the money. Ripping the wrx in the mountains on the road, I'd did have a ton of understeer - even more so than our fwd eggs. Also all of the wrx transmissions suck and the DSG is awesome. My manual in the wrx felt like it was in gravel and wouldn't go into first half the time (common issue).