GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible new owner and looking for a little advise.

supernova_inc

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone.

I am currently debating purchasing a new vehicle and have been looking into these forums and the GTI as my top pic. I have had very LARGE cars for a long time and I am getting pretty done with the whole concept. Maybe it is me getting older but every fill up and not being able to really use or enjoy my previous rides a ton without paying $$$ is wearing really thin. I had a 03 CL type S 6mt, then went to an 05 CTS-V which was probably one of the worst "driving" cars I have owned. I traded it in for an 08 Charger SRT8 which was literally bigger than a house. I fell into a great deal for a 10 C63 AMG and that is what I currently have. I am really worried about the maintenance that is going to be crazy expensive. The mi. on it is up to 68k. My front 2 piece rotors were replaced prior to me purchasing the vehicle but those and the pads would run $2200, just for the front... My buddy recently turned into a family man and traded his older corvette for a 14 4dr civic SI, it was a mid 90's vette so it had a ton of squeaks and creeks etc.

I am bringing all this up because I want to get something that is still fun to drive but that is new. I know gas has come down a lot recently but I am still putting in $50 a week and if I could average even 28-30mpg I would be getting double what I am now. I was wondering if anyone else has had some experience going from a big heavy v8 car down to something a lot lighter and smaller? I want to still have fun while I drive but I can't really even get on my c63 without burning through tires and it just seems like a waste now. I don't autocross or race, I just like having a fun ride home after a crappy day at work. Getting a 6mt is what I would want as I still remember how much a joy my old Acura CL type s with its 6mt was to drive. The test drive I took at my local dealer really opened my eyes. I know the GTI's are not the fastest in the world but it really was a joy to drive. The interior seems a class above my buddies Civic SI. I was looking at getting a SE with the lighting package. The Performance package also seemed nice but after driving a S GTI, even that seemed like it would be fun to drive while still getting good mpg. Any advise would be appreciated

Last edited:

gchen6850

Ready to race!
I didn't necessarily go from several large cars to my GTI, but I had only driven naturally aspirated V6's previous to my GTI. The biggest thing I noticed was the weight, making turns and accelerations more fun even if the GTI doesn't have the most powerful engine (although there are several tunes out to boost that up to almost 300 bhp).

What I can definitely attest to, however, is the mpg. I don't always drive with a lead foot, but I do make sure I enjoy almost every drive in the car and I still get at minimum 26 mpg per tank, going up to 29 mpg per tank. In this respect I think you will definitely enjoy paying less for gas while still having fun. And you are correct about the interior...it's major bang for your buck.

I personally now drive an SE with lighting package. Kinda feel like the car loses a major intended styling change without the lighting package (the red line) so I had to get those. In terms of the performance package...I opted out because A. I couldn't wait. and B. I don't really autocross or track so I didn't think it would be really noticeable. Are there days when I wish I had waited?...I mean...yes...but only because then I know I bought the highest performing (stock) GTI available. But at the end of the day I didn't think I would notice a difference the way I typically use the car.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
all cars I've owned previously are FWD and 4 cylinders, but i have driven cars like f10 535i, and something similar I've forgot, my last and current gti are both fun in comparison of city and town driving, but in highway bmw wins, but since bmw is a lot more refined, driving 100 is the best fun you can get on em. GTI's are fun without even getting in trouble. Also GTI serves a simple stage 1 tune that brings it 300hp, 380 ib-ft of torque, but that may not hold the stock clutch.

Another car i would suggest is focus st, theres really isn't much to mod that car, however i saw some people had issues with warranty work on forums that turned me away. Why not try either GTI, Focus ST and WRX and see what you like best. IF you want a nice place to be in, The GTI is the best on that for your money, Focus ST is ok, its not as spacious as the GTI due to recaros, but the raw handling and LSD makes up for it, WRX has AWD obviously and it has faster 0-60 than gti and st, interior is pretty much like a 1990 kia interior, has bigger backseat etc. but exterior looks like a riced corolla, if id get it, id lose the spoiler. All 3's mpg is rated 20-30 for both city and highways.

have fun and good luck.

SHFT

Ready to race!

I've owned a lot of different vehicles, and the GTI doesn't disappoint. It's great all around.

supernova_inc

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the replies. The interior seems to be really top notch. If I was concerned with being as fast as I can be I would definitely stick with my C63. It however is full of rattles, lots of annoyances, and jars my entire body of every crack, and there at lots in ABQ, NM. The C63 has the performance package but the ride is sooo freakin stiff and being that I don't actually race it, it seems wasted. The WRX seems like a lot of fun but I don't live in crazy snow and if I went to the mountains I figured I could get a pair of steelies with some blizzaks or something similar. The snow posts on this forum have put my mind at ease in that regard. Thanks again for the replies.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
OP, got test an Mk7 GTI and you will be blown away! The new GTI is an amazingly fun yet refined car and it's just incredibly solid! I didn't have a C63 but I gave up my 2008 C350 Sport to get into my first GTI, a 2011 Mk6 GTI Autobahn package with DSG. I loved my 3.5 years and 75k miles with that car but the Mk7 drew my attention quickly. One test drive and I knew it really split the difference between the Benz and my Mk6 GTI. While the Mk6 felt a bit more like a toy, the new Mk7 GTI felt like a slightly bigger and more solid car, somewhat like my C350 but with much less weight and super quick handling. Stock power, handling, and brakes in this new GTI are near perfection not to mention I'm averaging 31mpg on my daily commute without even trying hard. Tune the car and you have a sub 5 sec. beast of a hatchback.

I think you will be amazed when you drive one.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Interior feels like it belongs in a $45k car as well...

Nyanga

Ready to race!
The GTi DSG PP provides most things you would want.

It can be a great family car in Normal mode and a pocket rocket in Sport (the R is an out-&-out Saturn rocket!!).

Then you also get the good German build-quality and if you have the spare cash, lots of goodies to add-on.

SHFT

Ready to race!
I'm sorry, but, no, it doesn't. I own a 2008 A6, and the interior is worlds ahead of the GTI. The interior in the GTI is nice, but it's not luxury nice.

The A6 isn't a 45k car :D

But you are right, the interior isn't super luxurious, THOUGH the other poster is also correct as the interior is nicer than the interiors on my previous A4s and 535i IMO.

jwilkins88

Ready to race!

But you are right, the interior isn't super luxurious, THOUGH the other poster is also correct as the interior is nicer than the interiors on my previous A4s and 535i IMO.

Eh, I guess so.

I've never had an entry level luxury car, so I suppose I can't say that definitively. I've always had my "nice car" and then a daily driver.

jwilkins88

Ready to race!
I definitely agree that the interior is better than anything else in the class. The exception is the seats. I have wet dreams about the seats in the Fiesta/Focus ST

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'm sorry, but, no, it doesn't. I own a 2008 A6, and the interior is worlds ahead of the GTI. The interior in the GTI is nice, but it's not luxury nice.
I guess that's subjective. I find audi interiors from a few years ago a little bland. My Mercedes interior wasn't great either.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion

And I never compared it to an all out luxury car...

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
I definitely agree that the interior is better than anything else in the class. The exception is the seats. I have wet dreams about the seats in the Fiesta/Focus ST
Wow I felt super uncomfortable in the ST seats when I test drove it but I'm a bit muscley. That being said the GTI could use a bit more bolstering