GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Poor fuel consumption

Les Roberts

I bought ex demo mk7 2.0 tdi GT blue motion DSG with about 6300 miles on clock about two months ago. At that time the overall fuel consumption figure was 39.8. After two months and about 2000 mile this has risen to 42.6 This figure is far below the advertised ones for Urban driving. Even on a run and driving like a nun I can only get high 40's. is anyone else getting the same problem.

enkil

Ready to race!
Try to reset the counter first. I believe its taking into account all the mileage during its life as a test drive car. It was driven hard. So reset and start fresh. :D

JohnV1

Ready to race!
I had 56.6mpg this evening on mine and the first 7 miles (out of 31) was chronic stop/start congestion. Mine's a manual, so I'm not sure how much that contributes to extra economy.

Brian G1

Everyone knows that the 'advertised' consumption figures are set under unrealistic conditions, and real world consumption is never the same.
Are you talking about "true" figures or the readings on the trip computer?
Again the computer indicated figures are rarely the same as the actual figures.

Luddite

Ready to race!
I never believe the figures claimed.
I have to question the naivety of those who do.
Surely, these must be the same people who think Lynx really does make women desperate to have your babies, or that McDonalds really does sell nutrition.
Companies release these figures, not for your benefit, but for theirs.
They want to sell cars to people who want cars.
Governments want to cash in on this arrangement, hence this whole 'cat & mouse' game. Govt comes up with something, manufacturer comes up with a response. Ad infinitum.
If anyone feels aggrieved that quoted figures seem 'fixed', your govt probably has more responsibility for that than anyone else.
Sorry to get all political for a mo, but people perhaps need to step back and ponder.
BTW, my increasing 41+ per gallon, with mostly town driving, with less than 1k on the clock?
Surpasses my expectations.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Interesting, I'm getting pretty close to that on my petrol 1.4TSi - 45mpg seems pretty easy to achieve on the best roads NE Scotland can offer and I'm hoping I can better that by a fair margin on a decent run.

Consumption on my Golf Mk7 1.4Tsi DSG is quite significantly better than my Golf Mk6 1.4TSi manual.

Stripey

Ready to race!
As I've said on the other fuel consumption thread, my average mpg (per trip) is getting worse with age, not better, which is a bit concerning! I used to consistently get high 50's and was easy enough to push into the low 60's if being careful. Now, still being careful i'm consistently getting mid/high 40's for the same journeys.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Now that's not good :mad:

Brian G1

As I've said on the other fuel consumption thread, my average mpg (per trip) is getting worse with age, not better, which is a bit concerning! I used to consistently get high 50's and was easy enough to push into the low 60's if being careful. Now, still being careful i'm consistently getting mid/high 40's for the same journeys.

Probably the weather.
I never get as good consumption during the winter as I do during the summer.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Probably the weather.
I never get as good consumption during the winter as I do during the summer.

That's very true, I used to get about 3mpg less on my commute during winter , so I'm looking forward to spring summer as the consumption is already reducing as the mileage goes up :cool:

jonny123

Ready to race!
we have just had 2 months of hassle over this with sytners vw leeds.
we asked for the cars software to be checked as we should have been getting 40% better mpg in the mk7 than our trade in mk5 (both 2.0 gt tdi).
in real terms we were getting 10% less.
they have messed us about since the start, it has been in workshop twice and they have road tested it 3 times and now they have given up!!
for the road test they sit on the motorway at 40mph for 40miles and get 58mpg, I quieried this and was offered a demo, which I accepted.
we went out with their tech guy driving and got 48.6mpg, I was furious and drove home as I was too angry to face the idiot that evening.
I wrote to them asking it be put right, anyway after I lot of messing about and left without transport on every occasion they decided to road test it for the final time.
sale guy asked if I fancied being present, I refused.
so off they went and again travelled the 40 miles at 40mph and got 58mpg.
however, on getting the car delivered back the computer was showing it had traveled 48miles and was achieving 48.8mpg.
now its 7.5 miles from mine to sytners, can anybody confirm what mpg had been achieved for the final 8 miles to reduce it from 58 to 49?
I have done my sums and decided the driver must have either reversed it all the way here or simply done it in first gear.
DO NOT USE SYTNERS VW LEEDS!!!!

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
we have just had 2 months of hassle over this with sytners vw leeds.
we asked for the cars software to be checked as we should have been getting 40% better mpg in the mk7 than our trade in mk5 (both 2.0 gt tdi).
in real terms we were getting 10% less.
they have messed us about since the start, it has been in workshop twice and they have road tested it 3 times and now they have given up!!
for the road test they sit on the motorway at 40mph for 40miles and get 58mpg, I quieried this and was offered a demo, which I accepted.
we went out with their tech guy driving and got 48.6mpg, I was furious and drove home as I was too angry to face the idiot that evening.
I wrote to them asking it be put right, anyway after I lot of messing about and left without transport on every occasion they decided to road test it for the final time.
sale guy asked if I fancied being present, I refused.
so off they went and again travelled the 40 miles at 40mph and got 58mpg.
however, on getting the car delivered back the computer was showing it had traveled 48miles and was achieving 48.8mpg.
now its 7.5 miles from mine to sytners, can anybody confirm what mpg had been achieved for the final 8 miles to reduce it from 58 to 49?
I have done my sums and decided the driver must have either reversed it all the way here or simply done it in first gear.
DO NOT USE SYTNERS VW LEEDS!!!!

What MPG are you expecting?
What is the traffic like for the last 8 miles? If I popped out to the shops in my car, then I wouldn't expect the display to show much over 20mpg, however if I continued the journey I would see the MPG increase, if I travel from say Bham to Tamworth, the intial part of the journey his high 20s then once through Sutton, the display will quickly wizz into the high 30s, once in tamworth it wll drop again.
On certain days and certain driving conditions you may get high 50s low 60s, but in my experience the diesel will give more than petrol but nowhere near as much more than some advertised figures would suggest, eg Having used an Audi A3 sportback diesel for 2 weeks returned 45mpg mixed driving, my MK5 would have been returning 35mpg for the same journeys.
Remember your driving style will affect the returns too.

jonny123

Ready to race!
OK, just to check my figures......
40 miles x 58mpg = 2320
plus
8miles x 1mpg = 8
equals
40+8 miles and 2320 + 8

2328 / 48 = 48.5mpg.

to he got just over 1mpg delivering the car back to me.
if there are any budding carol vordermans out there will you check my figures are correct please.....
if Rachael riley is out there my phone number is 0798453.........

jonny123

Ready to race!
Avanti, I don't think it is actually possible to get 1mpg mate.
I was not driving, I refused to take any time off work to take part in this pointless exercise.
I was returning 48-50 mpg on all journeys in the mk5 so long as I read the road ahead well and stayed below 80mph on motorways.
I drove to the computer with 50mpg being the target.
with the mk7 im driving to the computer but the best I can get is 46mpg, I don't doubt if I use motorways all the time and don't exceed 40mph my mpg will increase but its just not possible as the nearest motorway is 5 miles away.
if I drive it at the same speeds as the mk5 I get just over 42mpg.