GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Please Illuminate Me

vhs

Passed Driver's Ed
Daytime instrument illumination is rather odd. In my SE the rev counter and speedo get bright lighting when the sun shines and dim down to zero in darker conditions, probably to encourage me to switch the lights on or leave it in Auto.

The GTi on the other hand seems to stay dark all the time in daylight. Is this normal or do I have a trip back to the dealer to look forward to?

Viv

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
On mine just the needles are illuminated, unless the lights are on, then the rest of the cluster illuminates.

mlewando

Ready to race!
In case of SE - normal. It's getting darker despite the needles reminding your "Switch the lights on!"

marvin1

Ready to race!
This all sounds rather strange. My instruments brighten in bright sunshine for obvious reasons and become dimmer the duller it is but why would this be to remind you to turn on your light as they are automatic anyway and one has DRLs as well?
Sorry if I am being thick.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
This all sounds rather strange. My instruments brighten in bright sunshine for obvious reasons and become dimmer the duller it is but why would this be to remind you to turn on your light as they are automatic anyway and one has DRLs as well?
Sorry if I am being thick.

I have not noticed any change in intesnity on the MK7, certainly on the MK5, if say the sunroof was open, the MFD would increase in intensity, or if the lights were on, ot would dim.

marvin1

Ready to race!
I have not noticed any change in intesnity on the MK7, certainly on the MK5, if say the sunroof was open, the MFD would increase in intensity, or if the lights were on, ot would dim.

Obviously, I have no experience of the MK7 but I hope that this is not yet another VW attempt at saving money by not including a light sensor for the instrument panel cluster.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Obviously, I have no experience of the MK7 but I hope that this is not yet another VW attempt at saving money by not including a light sensor for the instrument panel cluster.

I'm not even sure it was/needs to be anything as complex as a light sensor, on the MK5 it was easy enough to just sense if the roof was open or lights on, I believe the media display is the same too for the sat nav at least.

pcr

Ready to race!
Mine is as described for the SE, the instruments dim as it gets darker, to the extent that even when passing dense trees the instruments are too dim to read. I'd say it's a design error.

marvin1

Ready to race!
Mine is as described for the SE, the instruments dim as it gets darker, to the extent that even when passing dense trees the instruments are too dim to read. I'd say it's a design error.

Am I also correct in saying that there isn't a rotary wheel next to the headlight adjustment wheel for changing instrument illumination level?
Can't you increase the level when it's at its lowest?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Am I also correct in saying that there isn't a rotary wheel next to the headlight adjustment wheel for changing instrument illumination level?
Can't you increase the level when it's at its lowest?

You are correct, it is menu driven now, finding the right balance is key, as on max, it's too bright at night.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Avanti, please can you say which menu item it is, it seems to have illuded me.

Aha!, you are on something there PCR, in the book on page 117 it does indeed show an instrument intensity, but it is definately in the car menus, I wonder if it is part of if the car has HIDs or not? I will go and check my car now.

vhs

Passed Driver's Ed
So it seems from collective wisdom here that the GTi doesn't benefit from light sensitive instrument lighting in the daytime. Pity.

The SE upwards all seem to have a daylight sensor as standard so that the Auto lights work. Personally I prefer to expend huge amounts of energy and switch my own headlamps on - the auto system, even if set to "late" setting, comes on and off with a will of its own, not mine.

Thanks for the input.

Viv

pcr

Ready to race!
Thanks Avanti, found that setting to adjust the overall instrument light level, but still with the lights off in daytime shady conditions, the instruments are not visible.