GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pirelli P Zero AS Plus?

amsr

Ready to race!
Has anyone run these tires on their GTI? Have Pilot Sport AS3+ now and they are kind of noisy, considering trying the Pirelli AS+ next...

Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I have these tires, the Pirelli P Zero AS Plus, got them mounted on the 19in Cadiz 10k miles ago...

I choose them because they have the best ride/comfort and lowest rolling resistance of the high performance all seasons....

All the tirerack testing implied it could keep up with the AS3+ while proving a better ride with more compliance and better mpg...

One thing to note, their snow performance isn't the best of the high performance all seasons.... I bet its good enough, even for Michigan though...

Here where i live we dont get much snow but the temperatures are usually below freezing in the winter so I still needed AS tires...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=230
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=216
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=241
Edit: forgot to answer the main question, they are VERY quiet....

Also its good to know that it probably does all this compared to the AS3+ because its sidewall is softer (better compliance) and the thread pattern / compound less aggressive (low noise, less traction, worse snow performance)

The tire game is a game of compromises... Nevertheless, I am very happy with these tires, they are very predictable at the limit as well, very fun on the Golf R

Last edited:

amsr

Ready to race!
Thanks for the reply. Curious what tires came stock on your R? My GTI came with the Pirelli P7 Cinturato. Was curious if you had those also and could comment on the P Zero AS+ vs the Cinturato P7?

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
It came with "Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position" so i can't really comment ... but i got the car used, the tires already have almost 20k mi... they where very very loud...

I think your tires are just worn.... they will get louder.... new P Zero AS+s would probably be more quiet... but these are "Ulra High performance" AS tires while the Cinturatos are Grand Turing AS tires...

The P Zero AS+ is the quietest of its class, but all things equal, both being new, the Cinturato has to be a quieter, more comfortable tire...

You shouldn't be getting grand touring tires on your GTI though!

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Check out those tire rack links i posted, they are testing all the high performance all seasons.... for some reason one of the links is down..... The AS3s are known to be the firmest.... the DWS06 has a softer tire wall than both the AS3s and the PZeros AS+..... usually the complain is disconnected steering, however they still rate the PZero's as more comfortable and better overall... its issue is snow like mentioned earlier, the DWS does that best out of them all in the snow though, if you need that... I haven't tried the DSWs though, so i cant say....

Honestly if you search this forum "harsh ride" or "bump noises" etc, you will see these cars have a suspension that doesn't handle bumps the best... ... I dont know if i would swap perfectly good tires for that reason, you might not even be able to tell....

FST_NML

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI S DSG LP/PP
I have Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate on my stock GTI w/ PP now and I love them. TireRack used to have a review on them comparing them to the Michelin AS/3+, Continental DWS06, and Bridgestone RE980s but looks like the test has been taken down. Their review on YouTube is still up though:
. In that review, the only metric that the AS/3+ beat it was dry grip, and only marginally. Wet grip was much better.
I have put 5k miles on them so far, and I can say they are very quiet. Driving on fresh smooth pavement you can barely hear them. Grip is absolutely phenomenal for all season tires, both dry and wet. There is an exit ramp where I like to test how well the VAQ works, and I can tell you that I can go as fast if not a bit faster as when I had Indy 500. They are on the expensive side though being so new I guess (came out last year)

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Yeah, its the same test that im saying is down... in that tire rack test, they test the Goodyear against the rest of the high performance all seasons...

Here is the google cache link, i was able to get some of it:

Test report

I picked the Pirelli over the Goodyear because of the implied better rated comfort, noise, and rolling resistance / MPG... they aren't directly compared, but when comparing each to the AS3's, the Pirelli seemed like the best choice...

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate on my stock GTI w/ PP now and I love them. TireRack used to have a review on them comparing them to the Michelin AS/3+, Continental DWS06, and Bridgestone RE980s but looks like the test has been taken down. Their review on YouTube is still up though:
. In that review, the only metric that the AS/3+ beat it was dry grip, and only marginally. Wet grip was much better.
I have put 5k miles on them so far, and I can say they are very quiet. Driving on fresh smooth pavement you can barely hear them. Grip is absolutely phenomenal for all season tires, both dry and wet. There is an exit ramp where I like to test how well the VAQ works, and I can tell you that I can go as fast if not a bit faster as when I had Indy 500. They are on the expensive side though being so new I guess (came out last year)

How much for what size?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Check out those tire rack links i posted, they are testing all the high performance all seasons.... for some reason one of the links is down..... The AS3s are known to be the firmest.... the DWS06 has a softer tire wall than both the AS3s and the PZeros AS+..... usually the complain is disconnected steering, however they still rate the PZero's as more comfortable and better overall... its issue is snow like mentioned earlier, the DWS does that best out of them all in the snow though, if you need that... I haven't tried the DSWs though, so i cant say....

Honestly if you search this forum "harsh ride" or "bump noises" etc, you will see these cars have a suspension that doesn't handle bumps the best... ... I dont know if i would swap perfectly good tires for that reason, you might not even be able to tell....

I have a copy of Consumer Reports New Car guide (May 2020) which features a section on tires. I am comparing it to the TireRack info. CR actually puts the PZero's at the same rating as the AS3+ for comfort (below average). The DWS06 are rated one step higher, at "average" the same rating the Cinturato P7's receive. The Cinturato P7's have the best possible rating for noise levels. In ultra high performance their best rated tire for both comfort and noise is the Quatrac Pros but TireRack classifies them as grand touring lol. For high performance all seasons they prefer the PureContact LS over the P7s. I know TireRack's testing is more thorough but it is still interesting. Would there be a huge drop off in handling and performance with Grand Touring tires? Sometimes I am confused by the TireRack results because I assume when they give tires ratings they only compare them to other tires in the same category. For example, the rating of the PZero's doesn't make any sense to look at vs the rating of the P7's or does it?

amsr

Ready to race!
The other thing I noticed is that at least in stock sizes, the AS3+ is heavier than the P7 Cinturato that came on my car. Its +3 lbs per corner I think? You can feel it. And you lose some fuel economy. But you do get loads of grip.

225/40 18 (stock GTI Austin wheel size)

PureContact LS 21lbs
P7 Cinturato 21lbs

PZero AS+ 23lbs
AS3+ 24lbs
GY Exhilarate 22lbs
DWS06 21lbs
Potenza 980AS 25lbs

PS4S 21lbs

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I have a copy of Consumer Reports New Car guide (May 2020) which features a section on tires. I am comparing it to the TireRack info. CR actually puts the PZero's at the same rating as the AS3+ for comfort (below average). The DWS06 are rated one step higher, at "average" the same rating the Cinturato P7's receive. The Cinturato P7's have the best possible rating for noise levels. In ultra high performance their best rated tire for both comfort and noise is the Quatrac Pros but TireRack classifies them as grand touring lol. For high performance all seasons they prefer the PureContact LS over the P7s. I know TireRack's testing is more thorough but it is still interesting. Would there be a huge drop off in handling and performance with Grand Touring tires? Sometimes I am confused by the TireRack results because I assume when they give tires ratings they only compare them to other tires in the same category. For example, the rating of the PZero's doesn't make any sense to look at vs the rating of the P7's or does it?

Yeah, tire rack rack considers the Cinturato Grand Touring as well... how does CR test the tires? are they comparing them by actually testing them in the same car/day/track with a fleet of drivers and then noting down the quantitative and subjective data like the TR test reports I linked... thats how Tire Rack does the "tests"... they also have the customer ratings as well.... one is obviously much more helpful that the other.... i went to the CR website but all the tire reviews are all "locked" ... if its just like the TR "customer ratings", imo its not that helpful for comparing tires... its more a customer satisfaction metric, if they are getting what they expected... i would only really look at the "would you recommend a friend" rating in those....

For example in this test, the Pirelli AS+ was considered softer/comfortable and quieter than the DWS in testing same car, same people, same day and place......

1586498688524.png

1586498828831.png

1586498863461.png

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=230
Same thing in this test:

1586499136685.png

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=216
So unless Pirelli is paying them or something... it seems to be the better tire, except for pure handling (AS3 better), and in the wet/snow (DWS better)

Too bad there is no direct testing of the Pirelli against the Goodyear, but from what i saw in that Tire rack test thats not available atm, the Goodyear didn't really beat the AS3+ like the Pirelli did, and the MPG was worse on the Goodyear vs the Michelin, as opposed to the other test where the Pirelli was by far the best, so that kinda of settled it for me...

1586500004526.png

Last edited:

FST_NML

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI S DSG LP/PP
How much for what size?

They are close to the Michelin A/S3+ at regular price. I use 235/40 r18, and they are currently $180 a piece on TireRack, vs $192.99 for the Michelin A/S3+. In stock size, the Exhilarare are $176.99 vs $185.99 for the A/S3+ . Compare that to the popular Indy 500 at $148.37 and $143.25 for 235 and stock size, respectively.
I think I paid around $850 to have them installed including taxes, whereas I can get the A/S3+ installed for around $640 at the local Costco whenever Michelins are on sale. Noise is very high on my priority list when it comes to tires, that's why I wanted to try the Exhilarate and I am not disappointed.

So unless Pirelli is paying them or something... it seems to be the better tire, except for pure handling (AS3 better), and in the wet/snow (DWS better)

Too bad there is no direct testing of the Pirelli against the Goodyear, but from what i saw in that Tire rack test thats not available atm, the Goodyear didn't really beat the AS3+ like the Pirelli did, and the MPG was worse on the Goodyear vs the Michelin, as opposed to the other test where the Pirelli was by far the best, so that kinda of settled it for me...

Wow, I must have missed the actual numbers of the Pirellis, they are doing quite well indeed. I might try them next if they are as quiet as you say they are, especially if the price is on par with the others. I like Pirellis for touring tires actually, our SUV has been wearing Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS+ for the past several years.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
The other thing I noticed is that at least in stock sizes, the AS3+ is heavier than the P7 Cinturato that came on my car. Its +3 lbs per corner I think? You can feel it. And you lose some fuel economy. But you do get loads of grip.

225/40 18 (stock GTI Austin wheel size)

PureContact LS 21lbs
P7 Cinturato 21lbs

PZero AS+ 23lbs
AS3+ 24lbs
GY Exhilarate 22lbs
DWS06 21lbs
Potenza 980AS 25lbs

PS4S 21lbs

Yeah the AS3+ is a very wide tire (based on TireRack's measurements). I am guessing that combined with their compound results in the extra weight.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Yeah, tire rack rack considers the Cinturato Grand Touring as well... how does CR test the tires? are they comparing them by actually testing them in the same car/day/track with a fleet of drivers and then noting down the quantitative and subjective data like the TR test reports I linked... thats how Tire Rack does the "tests"... they also have the customer ratings as well.... one is obviously much more helpful that the other.... i went to the CR website but all the tire reviews are all "locked" ... if its just like the TR "customer ratings", imo its not that helpful for comparing tires... its more a customer satisfaction metric, if they are getting what they expected... i would only really look at the "would you recommend a friend" rating in those....

Thanks for the very detailed reply. It appears CR does their testing in-house however they don't provide many details in the magazine. You might need to be a subscriber on the website to see the actual test results if available. I guess any of the tires listed above should be a step up in comfort from the AS3+. I am now mostly wondering what the trade offs would be in choosing one of the top rated Grand Touring tires. I'll have to make myself something to compare all the data from TireRack.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Yeah, the Contis, the Goodyears, the Pirellis are probably all softer than the the AS3+s... but i still don't think you should ditch them unless you already need new tires... I dont think it will make much of a difference, these car's are inherently "firm", DCC or not.... even worse if you aren't on the stock suspension.

Maybe go all the way, try the Grand Turing Quatrac Pros or Cinturatos... A lot of people in these forums would cringe at that choice though haha, the first mod everyone recommends is to ditch the OEM GT tires...