GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Permanent Auto-window fix?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Has anyone found a permanent fix to the automatic open/close issue on the front windows? Specifically the drivers side. I have lost count of how many times I've done the full reset (put window up and hold up, then all the way down and hold down... Etc), that "fix" no longer works lol 🤣

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Has anyone found a permanent fix to the automatic open/close issue on the front windows? Specifically the drivers side. I have lost count of how many times I've done the full reset (put window up and hold up, then all the way down and hold down... Etc), that "fix" no longer works lol 🤣
I wish. Only car I have ever owned with auto window issues.

ChristopherNeil

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
The service manager at my dealer told me that ceramic tints are just thick enough to grab/trip up the safety mechanism occasionally, which requires a reset. I'm in cahoots with the owner of the dealer so I'm inclined to believe he's not BSing me.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Have you made coding changes to your door control modules? Like installing auto folding mirrors?

Curious if it was a mistake in the coding that could be causing this. I only have issues with the passenger window, and it's 100% my drivers door switch for the passenger window as using the pass door doesn't have the issue.

Other than that I've had non of the random reset issues (Granted i'm also non Kessy and Non Pano) and I'm using Ali express door controllers lol

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Have you made coding changes to your door control modules? Like installing auto folding mirrors?

Curious if it was a mistake in the coding that could be causing this. I only have issues with the passenger window, and it's 100% my drivers door switch for the passenger window as using the pass door doesn't have the issue.

Other than that I've had non of the random reset issues (Granted i'm also non Kessy and Non Pano) and I'm using Ali express door controllers lol
Sadly no to the auto mirrors. I did do the remote up and down but it was happening before I did that

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

And same. All other switches work. Just drivers side issue

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
And same. All other switches work. Just drivers side issue
If auto up is working on the other doors, then it sounds like the little switch in the drivers door window switches are going bad. They have 2 positions, light pull - manual control, stops when you let go, and heavy pull - auto control where it only stops if you toggle the switch again. My passenger window even if I heavy pull will do a light pull most times, and I have to rehit the switch, or pull it slowly to get it to auto. Auto for all the other windows works when this happens though. This is the switch itself failing, but it isn't bad enough to make me buy a new one and swap it just yet as it's only one window and intermittent.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I figure the drivers door window switches get wet whenever it's raining and you roll the window down/open the door. It's also the most used switch as there is always a driver, but not always passengers. They also collect dust due to their design, and just seem to fail often it seems. I've read a few posts about people having to replace the window switch mechanism so maybe it's just bad design in general on VWs part. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
The service manager at my dealer told me that ceramic tints are just thick enough to grab/trip up the safety mechanism occasionally, which requires a reset. I'm in cahoots with the owner of the dealer so I'm inclined to believe he's not BSing me.
Mine is stock as was my 2021 gti

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
Hard to believe its a switch going bad. Ive never had this problem on any other vehicle. Just funny its only the drivers side. I too have had to do numerous resets, and it gets very annoying.
I don't think so either, once the reset is performed it's just fine. It's SUPER annoying and seems to happen in waves. I found this thread searching on the issue as it's been pretty bad lately, like often just a day or two. I would love to know what's causing the damn thing to trip.

Oh and regarding driver's window being opened more theory, I usually do all 4 if I have any open at all. It is VERY rare/almost never that I open only the driver's like paying going into a national park in winter or something like that.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I periodically Silicone Spray down the runners and not had to do a reset for months. Before that it was nearly every week.

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
I periodically Silicone Spray down the runners and not had to do a reset for months. Before that it was nearly every week.
This makes sense. Increased resistance of dust and crud could indeed make the system go "ah kid's head in the way".

Edit: I used q-tips so's to cut down the mess (esp with how modern silicone spray seems to all be of the foaming type now, for some highly irritating reason). We'll see how it goes....

Last edited: