GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PCV Block Off Plate vs. Catch Can vs. Nothing

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
A “block off plate” is just the piece that replaces the PCV to allow a DIY CC installation. I don’t know of anyone selling them for Gen3 TSI outside of complete kits.

Bottom line is unless you’re tracking on 200TW or better tires and losing a bunch of oil from sustained Gs the money is better spent elsewhere.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
A “block off plate” is just the piece that replaces the PCV to allow a DIY CC installation. I don’t know of anyone selling them for Gen3 TSI outside of complete kits.

Bottom line is unless you’re tracking on 200TW or better tires and losing a bunch of oil from sustained Gs the money is better spent elsewhere.

So a block off plate has no bearing on carbon deposits from recirculating vapors?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So a block off plate has no bearing on carbon deposits from recirculating vapors?

Nothing you can do to prevent carbon on the intake ports on a DI engine, they’ll happen no matter what.

On a positive note, my car is 100% OEM in that department and still hasn’t needed cleaned in 96k miles

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Water meth mist is about the only thing you can do on a DI engine for carbon besides cleaning. Find a way to rinse the valve is the only way around it. A block plate isn't just something you can toss on to put a cap on the whole system, it reroutes for a CC hookup.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Nothing you can do to prevent carbon on the intake ports on a DI engine, they’ll happen no matter what.

On a positive note, my car is 100% OEM in that department and still hasn’t needed cleaned in 96k miles

How do you know it hasn't needed to be cleaned?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
How do you know it hasn't needed to be cleaned?

No rough idle, no mis fires.

Same as anything, you can throw time and money at whatever you want, but the car runs perfect and gets 30mpg with zero highway in my commute so outside of cool before and after pictures there’s not much to be gained from cleaning them early.

My plan has always been clean the valves when it runs rough or the water pump leaks, and neither has happened yet.

For those extra worried about it remove the MAP from the intake manifold and borescope it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Idk how much an OEM MPI retrofit is but that would prevent buildup

Would need to tune for it so total cost would be more than cleaning them and most don’t keep these cars long enough for one cleaning let alone two.

E85 or Water Meth, as they spray in the charge pipe.
E85 won’t help since it’s DI. WM will help, but again cost the same as just cleaning it when the time comes

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Same as anything, you can throw time and money at whatever you want, but the car runs perfect and gets 30mpg with zero highway in my commute so outside of cool before and after pictures there’s not much to be gained from cleaning them early.

My plan has always been clean the valves when it runs rough or the water pump leaks, and neither has happened yet.

For those extra worried about it remove the MAP from the intake manifold and borescope it.

I had my valves cleaned at 100K and it made a noticeable difference and I didn't have any misfiring, rough idle etc.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Would need to tune for it so total cost would be more than cleaning them and most don’t keep these cars long enough for one cleaning let alone two.

E85 won’t help since it’s DI. WM will help, but again cost the same as just cleaning it when the time comes
True, though don't the MPI kits offer port injection? Or is it just upgrading the stock Injectors?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Would the runner flaps be in an appropriate position for me to get a glimpse at the valves? My idle is not rough really (considering I have BFI mounts and a dogbone insert, it could definitely be rougher), no misfires I can detect. Don't want to just go and have the valves cleaned if they don't need to.
I get up to 34mpg highway when running regular 91 and not E20. Gas mileage has not dropped significantly in the past 3+ years of ownership.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Would the runner flaps be in an appropriate position for me to get a glimpse at the valves? My idle is not rough really (considering I have BFI mounts and a dogbone insert, it could definitely be rougher), no misfires I can detect. Don't want to just go and have the valves cleaned if they don't need to.
I get up to 34mpg highway when running regular 91 and not E20. Gas mileage has not dropped significantly in the past 3+ years of ownership.

How many miles do you have?