GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passenger side mirror shattered?

amsr

Ready to race!
I was sitting in a parking spot yesterday and all the sudden the passenger side mirror just shattered and fell on the ground. As far as I know it was never hit and there were no visible chips or cracks in it prior. Is this like a known problem with this car? It’s a 2017 GTI SE. Is there something I can just buy as apart and put on myself or does this require a trip to a dealer or body shop to replace the whole thing.

Attachments

• 2F48D43B-7F39-45A4-BD35-35186FE76C68.jpeg
    2F48D43B-7F39-45A4-BD35-35186FE76C68.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Are you sure it shattered first? I've had side mirror glass fall off before because the adhesive gave out.

Look for a local glass store that will cut the pattern for you. Much cheaper than trying to order oem replacements.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Wife's passenger mirror delaminated and fell off. I just ordered a replacement at the dealership, popped off the backing plate and reinstalled. 60 seconds of work if you take a break in the middle.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I have a pair of oem mirrors for sale if that interests you.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Are there special considerations for heated mirrors?
Just order the correct version. It will plug in to wires assuming they weren’t damaged

amsr

Ready to race!
Are you sure it shattered first? I've had side mirror glass fall off before because the adhesive gave out.

Look for a local glass store that will cut the pattern for you. Much cheaper than trying to order oem replacements.

I think you are right, it fell off and shattered when it hit the ground. Either way it fell off for whatever reason.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
@amsr - quite a few instances of mirror glass falling out of the door mirror housing have been reported on vwroc.com forum - sometimes while the car is being driven, resulting in the mirror glass hitting the bodywork and causing damage in the process. The general consensus is that regular use of the mirror heating function - or leaving the mirror adjustment control permanently in the heating position - weakens the adhesive over time. IMHO it’s quite easy to unwittingly leave the mirror adjustment in the ‘heating’ position as there’s no warning lamp to show when it’s switched on. So if left switched on, even if it automatically times out after a set time period, the heating will presumably come on with each ignition cycle.

The mirror adjustment / heating control has been the same since at least the mk4 Golf, so maybe it’s time for a redesign, along with the addition of a warning lamp to indicate when the mirror heating function is active.

It might also be worth checking the other door mirror on your car to ensure it‘s still secure and not about to fall out.

amsr

Ready to race!
Yeah they had it at the local dealer and I was able to get it and snap it on. Still kind of weird that it fell of but oh well. It was $125.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I had the pair for $30 shipped.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Not sure if this still happens, but auto dimming mirrors used to puke their nice, mercury filled guts out after a decade or so. A previous BMW belched the nice heavy metal all over my center console one day and the interior mirror was a hazy mess. BMW wanted $450 for a new one, I had a glass shop cut a new (non dimming one) for $20.

Capt_Webb

Car(s)
2017 MK7.5 Golf GTi
Mine came loose today while washing the car! Didn't break as I noticed it was sliding side to side so that's saved me a few £'s. I've read get some no nails double sided tape or someone else used fishcake adhesive to reattach. Might see how much a new one is and treat myself:) A friend of my lads had the same happen last week on his mk7.5, we've had a few cold nights recently so that won't have helped.

Capt_Webb

Car(s)
2017 MK7.5 Golf GTi
Mine came loose today while washing the car! Didn't break as I noticed it was sliding side to side so that's saved me a few £'s. I've read get some no nails double sided tape or someone else used fishcake adhesive to reattach. Might see how much a new one is and treat myself A friend of my lads had the same happen last week on his mk7.5, we've had a few cold nights recently so that won't have helped.

Bought a new one from main dealer, £78 and they'll fit it.