GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parasitic battery drain - golf mk7

Rick86

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

What is the expected current draw on a battery when the vehicle is off (it's been standing off overnight)?

I set my multimeter to 10a and connected it in series with the negative post on the battery and I am seeing a reading of 02.82A (amp setting) and also 02.82ma (ma setting)

That can't be right surely?

I'm hoping even on the Amp scale the meter is reading in MA as the figures obviously don't make sense and if I am seeing a +2 amp drain then I definitely have a major issue.

My battery keeps draining really quickly at the moment.

Please advise,

Thanks,

Rick

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Could be any number of things....The main "X" relay usually cuts off everything after 30mins....so really thats when to measure....you need to have the engine, lights, heating, stereo, all turned off, doors shut & the bonnet up then let it wait 30mins....& then measure..

Saqib200

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 2.0 TDi
Hey,
So.. if you let the car go to sleep, so several minutes after you lock the car, then the quiescent current should be under 50mA (ie 0.05A).

Any more than this and your battery will be draining rather quickly.
Whilst the car is in this state (asleep, and Ammeter connected).. find your fuse box, and pull out one fuse and watch the ammeter until you see a large drop. If you don't see a large drop, put that fuse back and go for the next one. When you find the fuse, THAT system is your parasitic drain.

Rick86

Passed Driver's Ed
Could be any number of things....The main "X" relay usually cuts off everything after 30mins....so really thats when to measure....you need to have the engine, lights, heating, stereo, all turned off, doors shut & the bonnet up then let it wait 30mins....& then measure..
Thanks for your advice Dave :)

Rick86

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey,
So.. if you let the car go to sleep, so several minutes after you lock the car, then the quiescent current should be under 50mA (ie 0.05A).

Any more than this and your battery will be draining rather quickly.
Whilst the car is in this state (asleep, and Ammeter connected).. find your fuse box, and pull out one fuse and watch the ammeter until you see a large drop. If you don't see a large drop, put that fuse back and go for the next one. When you find the fuse, THAT system is your parasitic drain.
Thanks for your advice Saqib :)