GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OZ Leggeras 18x8 on Michelin PSS - mini reviews

greatoz

Ready to race!
Took some pics today:

Loving it. VWR Sport Springs are giving me the perfect drop, great ride, NO rubbing at all anywhere under any conditions, the car's a totally different animal now, and starting to see the performance enhancements of the Eurocode bits (tower braces, tunnel brace) as they stiffen the chassis - before the tire limited me, now the car stays scary flat and very predictable through the twisties.

OZ Leggera mini-review:

Good: 18x8 and 18.6 lbs per wheel, so they're lightweight, appear strong and thick in all the high-stress places, have very questionable clearance for a StopTech 355mm BBK (I used the template to check), they look great and are a breeze to clean. Color is almost a match for Reflex Silver but a touch darker and the contrast I think the car and wheels need to be just a touch different.

Bad: Seats are R12 ball seats. There are next to NO 17mm M14x1.5 R12 ball seat lug nuts with which to do a stud conversion. If I'd known what a PITA it would be do find lug nuts that are a.) of proven quality and b.) readily available, I'd have gone Neuspeed RSe10's in 18x8.5. I need to push the fronts out about 3-5mm and the rears 5-8mm. Tough to do with such a limited supply of bolts or studs and nuts.

This appears to be OZ being lazy and not machining the seats for VAG cars but drilling them in a 5x112 pattern. My search would be MUCH easier if the ball seats were taper, R13 or R14 x 17mm. ARG. Also shame on TireRack for not disclosing this up front, or not stocking bolts (or better yet stud conversions with nuts that would work with spacers!

I'm currently exploring Rennline studs and Magatt nuts. We'll see - in the interim if anyone knows of a black M14x1.5 to M12x1.5 stud conversion with bullet nosed tips in verified grade 10.9 steel let me know...then I might be able to run decent R12 nuts - but as it stands my options are VERY limited and this frankly pisses me off.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires mini-review:

I encounter courage malfunctions before the tires start to squeal. They're totally stable, ride marginally harder than the stocks, are quiet and stick like gum to your shoe on a hot sunny day. Best tires I've ever owned.

All in all money well spent. I love my car again.

Last edited:

LeGti

Ready to race!
Look great, bet you're loving the reduced rotational mass. Sidenote: size for size, the PSSs are 1 to 2 lbs lighter, per tire, than all the others... The PSSs that are Made In France (ronn-ron-ron) are lighter yet. Those are sometimes sold in NA, albeit at a higher price...

Sorry to hear about the lug problem, will ask my local machinist if your required size is easily available intly... Thx for sharing!!

greatoz

Ready to race!
Thanks mon ami! YES, the lower weight / less unsprung mass is pretty damn awesome. Car's a LOT more responsive.

Sorry to hear about the lug problem, will ask my local machinist if your required size is easily available intly... Thx for sharing!!

That would be GREATLY appreciated - there are limited options out there here in NorAm - if they're only available internationally I'll HAPPILY sort the costs and customs fees...

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Evasive Motorsports carries the M14x1.5 to M12x1.5 conversion. I was going to go this route so I actually emailed Mackin Industries since they are the ones that import them.
Here is his response when I asked about strength and corrosion resistance:
The studs are heat treated and yellow zinc coated for corrosion. The material is 40CR hardened steel. We will have 75mm and 90mm available. Strength wise there shouldn’t be any problems since we’ve sold many and used them on many race cars.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Yuji Nagata
Mackin Industries
Sales & Marketing
tel. 562.946.6820 x 116
fax. 562.946.3417
AIM : mackinyuji

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/m...Y&Store_Code=EM&Category_Code=WHEELMATE-STUDS