GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Overhead LED interior lights

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Looking to change the stock interior overhead LEDs to red color since it's easier on the eyes at night for me. I've searched and it seems W5W T10 Aglint works error free however it doesn't have red. Anyone know what LED bulb is compatible with a MK7.5 GTI?

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
AFAIK interior lights have no monitoring for broken bulbs. You should be good with any red T10 LEDs I guess.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
AFAIK interior lights have no monitoring for broken bulbs. You should be good with any red T10 LEDs I guess.

Does it mean I can use a non-canbus t10/w5w led?

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Exactly. Actually you can use non-CANBUS LEDs all around the car as almost every circuit can be recorded from standard bulb to diode.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Exactly. Actually you can use non-CANBUS LEDs all around the car as almost every circuit can be recorded from standard bulb to diode.
Thanks

K-Span

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MT DBP
How did this work out for you? I sat in my car last night for a while finishing a book before heading home and holy crap those bright white LEDs are a bit much

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How did this work out for you? I sat in my car last night for a while finishing a book before heading home and holy crap those bright white LEDs are a bit much
Just get one different colored bulb to check it out. I would think that any colored bulb would be like trying to read with a night light. It would be too dim.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Just get one different colored bulb to check it out. I would think that any colored bulb would be like trying to read with a night light. It would be too dim.

It's not as easy as it seems because the LED overhead lights are not designed to be changed. In other words, if there is a bulb out, the entire dome light cluster has to be swapped out. Really stupid design.

There is however a non-led dome light version which came standard with base model Golfs running halogen bulbs. For this setup, the bulbs can be swapped out easily. I purchased a used one for testing right now.

Or alternatively, you can try and modify your LED version and figure out the specs of your current LED and then solder a new LED with the colour of your choice.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
For the front dome lights, there are many versions and so you have to figure out which one you have.

I believe for NAR MK7.5, due to cost cutting, the front dome light buttons are not illuminated and VW made a different design than its Euro counter parts with slightly different circuitry. The LEDs can be swapped out however the stock LED have a bend to it because it's intended to be illuminated at an angle. So even if you swap it with a different LED, chances it won't have a bend to it. It also won't line up with the cover.

https://ibb.co/7KLNJb9

For Euro versions and early NAR MK7, the LED is soldered onto a small circuit board so as said in my post above, you'll need to modify it with a soldering iron.

Last edited: