GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Opinions on orientation of shift knob

Hubs

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I recently purchased a 2017 GTI, and this is my first post in this forum. I'll start off with something rather trivial . . .
My first mod to the car is to replace the shift knob. I'm just not digging the stock knob. I purchased a leather/aluminum knob from BFI. The leather has a single seam down the knob. Would you orient the knob so the seam faces the front of the car, not visible to driver and passengers? Or have the seam facing the rear of the car, and visible? I am leaning toward having the seam face to the rear.

AnyConv.com__BFI_Knob.jpg

Hubs

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Good point. With the seam facing forward, I will likely be putting my fingers right on that seam every time I shift.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Not my best pic, but I like it facing rearward for the same reasons as posted above, plus it shows off the fancy red stitching, even if I suck at actually capturing that.

Hubs

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Thanks for the responses!

Bentin--I like your knob! Mine is rather similar, but I like the red stitching. Well, I assume I like the red stitching, which the picture does not show very well ;).

Hubs

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Just to wrap things up, here is the knob installed. Red stitching to match the boot would look really nice. BFI should get on that! I plan to swap out the BFI logo "coin" with a 6-speed shift pattern. In case I forget where the gears are . . .

Knob.jpg

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I like it in the rear too.