GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Old wheel weight residue...

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Hey everyone, I have a set of new wheels (5 months old) that I ceramic coated after they were balanced, but the balance sucked and I finally got them re-balanced. When they re-balanced them, they broke the bead and rotated the tire on the wheel and put on new sticky weights. Yes, they cleaned up the ceramic coating to stick on the new weights.
My question is, is there a special way to remove the old wheel weight glue/foam crap off the wheel without ruining it? I tried to scrape it off with a plastic door trim piece but that would have taken a week.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I have used WD40 with success. Also, have used Goof Off on adhesives with success. Don't know how it would affect the ceramic coating.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, soak it in alcohol or a degreaser. But you'll need to apply new coating to that area. Or just use it as a control.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I always just use Goo Gone. No issues with damaging the wheels.

Edit: Ignore me, didn't see the ceramic coating mention. I use Goo Gone on wheels and clear coat without issues, unsure of ceramic coatings.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It won't damage the wheel, but it will remove the coating.

That's why I would only ceramic coat the outside of the wheels. The weights are going to end up in different places every time the wheels are balanced.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
What ever cleaner you use, wash wheel right after you remember ve the residue. Do not let it soak or it can/will damage paint.
Wash and dry. Recoat if you like.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It most certainly will not.
Are you saying that Goo Gone is ceramic coating safe? I'd be skeptical of that. Is that wipe on wipe off and rinse sort of exposure? Soaking exposure? Petroleum distillates and acid aren't something I'd really like on my paint. I know alkaline solutions are an option for removing ceramics, which should point to acids being relatively safe, but I'd still be surprised if Goo Gone doesn't at least compromise a coating. Plus that crap is so oily that you're still likely going to clean it off with something basic anyway, thus removing coatings.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Are you saying that Goo Gone is ceramic coating safe? I'd be skeptical of that. Is that wipe on wipe off and rinse sort of exposure? Soaking exposure? Petroleum distillates and acid aren't something I'd really like on my paint. I know alkaline solutions are an option for removing ceramics, which should point to acids being relatively safe, but I'd still be surprised if Goo Gone doesn't at least compromise a coating. Plus that crap is so oily that you're still likely going to clean it off with something basic anyway, thus removing coatings.
No, I'm retarded and didn't see him mention the ceramic coating. Sorry. I am unsure if its safe with a ceramic coating.

Goo Gone is fine on clear coat though, as long as you don't let it sit there.