GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Old guy habits die hard.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
So.. I catch myself every so often giving the gas pedal a pump just before I start the car. I'm pretty sure I do this every time I start the car, but don't notice.

Anyone who's had a carbureted vehicle, knows that this is used to set the choke and give the engine a squirt of raw fuel to help startup. Obviously, for a modern car, this serves no purpose.

I've daily driven modern fuel injected cars for 30+ years, but grew up with old air-cooled VW's 80's and have had several carbureted beaters over the years, so I guess it's just hard-wired into my brain.

Any one else catch themselves doing this, or some other useless routine?

mechtibs

Ready to race!
So.. I catch myself every so often giving the gas pedal a pump just before I start the car. I'm pretty sure I do this every time I start the car, but don't notice.

Anyone who's had a carbureted vehicle, knows that this is used to set the choke and give the engine a squirt of raw fuel to help startup. Obviously, for a modern car, this serves no purpose.

I've daily driven modern fuel injected cars for 30+ years, but grew up with old air-cooled VW's 80's and have had several carbureted beaters over the years, so I guess it's just hard-wired into my brain.

Any one else catch themselves doing this, or some other useless routine?

Im that way then it comes to manuals. Been driving manuals so long that with my 2 dsg loaners ive been driving im always reaching down to shift......I end up in neutral alot. X-D