GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil or Grease Spots on Wheel

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Hello forum members. I have notice that one of my front wheels have become super dirty on the inside.

The wheel looks like it has being splashed by what appears to be grease.

I'm just trying to understand if it came from something or somewhere on the MK7.5 GTI that I need to investigate.

Looking to hear your take on this.

Attachments

• 20210623_164917.jpg
    20210623_164917.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 92

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
There was a big rock on the middle of the road and I hit it with my passenger front side wheel pretty hard, the same wheel from this picture. The wheel did not suffer any damage that I could see but immediately notice on it all the grease/oily marks all over it.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
i'd look around for more evidence with a flashlight, and wash the wheel and see if it comes back. Could have hit something greasy in the road.

JS82

Passed Driver's Ed
Most likely that rock you hit tore up your CV boot which would explain the axle grease all over your wheel. Get it fixed as soon as possible. You don’t want any dirt in the CV joint.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
I'm getting ready to take the GTI to the dealer for its 10K service visit, would they give me any problem to check and replace under warranty since I added new wheels and lowering springs to the car. I also have AP tunes on it which could get flag if connected to the right system at the dealership.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm getting ready to take the GTI to the dealer for its 10K service visit, would they give me any problem to check and replace under warranty since I added new wheels and lowering springs to the car. I also have AP tunes on it which could get flag if connected to the right system at the dealership.
The tune would only affect the powertrain warranty. It depends on what the problem is if they'll cover the reason the grease is on the wheel.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Who did the spring install?

It’s possible that the CV joint got damaged during the install and they probably wouldn’t cover that and/or blame the lowering springs

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
An update to the grease spots. Got the GTI on the Quick Jack and remove the passenger side front wheel. Inspected everything that I could think but couldn't find the source of the grease spots.
Decided to do a very thorough cleaning of the wheel, fender liner, and all other suspension components with some residue of grease, so I could monitor and hopefully have a better look at the source of the grease.

Attachments

• 20210703_144738.jpg
    20210703_144738.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
  • 20210703_152039.jpg
    20210703_152039.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 72