GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Level Sensor - Seal

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
So my car is leaving it's mark more than my 63' bug. My first thought on the leak was maybe loose filter cover, leaking down and dripping. That was checked, and then my next thought was the oil level sensor leaking. I did a quick torque check on the bolts and they were all tight. So I figured this would be a good time to gauge the flexibility of the only VW dealer around, and have it looked at.

Their tech took a look and confirmed that it is the oil level sensor that is leaking. They said there is not a gasket sold separately for purchase, and quoted labor and full price for a new sensor. I asked about warranty, and they baulked bad due to the work done on the car. I asked how any of the work/tune has anything to do with a leaky sensor, then they ramble on voided warranty, etc. Whatever, not worth the hassle.

So my question is, has anyone had any success in finding a gasket to just replace? My car has 17k miles, so I doubt the sensor needs replacing. I've perused old threads and not really seeing much. There doesn't seem to be just a single gasket that can be ordered from the various websites that I can find.

Anyone try the gasket that comes with a block off plate? Looks similar...

Attachments

• gasket.JPG
    gasket.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 633
  • plate.JPG
    plate.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 643

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I would look online at FCPeuro.com, shopdap.com and ecstuning.com, maybe even give them a call. I did a quick Google search and the part comes up for Mk5 and Mk6 and some are not listed as to the car. I doubt if they have changed the part. Fcpeuro gives the p/n 038103196.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I would look online at FCPeuro.com, shopdap.com and ecstuning.com, maybe even give them a call. I did a quick Google search and the part comes up for Mk5 and Mk6 and some are not listed as to the car. I doubt if they have changed the part. Fcpeuro gives the p/n 038103196.

FCP pointed me to the 038103196b seal. They said they can't guarantee that it'll fit, but it's worth a try. I think the one you linked looks more closely to the design as the one on the sensor. Of course the size is hard to tell off a picture.

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Ha, anyone try this method? I was thinking just deal with it on my next oil change, but this makes sense.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

So confirmed that this O-Ring https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volkswagen-oil-level-sender-o-ring-038103196 fits the MK7.5 sender unit. I pulled it out today, cleaned it up, and put it back together.

Still have the leak though, dealership blows. I'm going to hammer them on warranty, and find the actual leak. Maybe the front main? Is there a front main seal? Looks to be coming out from that area, leaking down on the corner of the oil pan.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I think that it would be the seal that is in the timing chain cover or the cover itself is leaking. If there is a front seal on the crankshaft from what I have seen in videos it would be under the timing chain cover. You might search YouTube about changing the timing chain and view it as it would give you some insight into this.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I think that it would be the seal that is in the timing chain cover or the cover itself is leaking. If there is a front seal on the crankshaft from what I have seen in videos it would be under the timing chain cover. You might search YouTube about changing the timing chain and view it as it would give you some insight into this.

After looking closer, and looking around online, I'd say it's probably the actual lower timing cover, not the front main. Doesn't look complicated, just more of a hassle in a small cold garage.

I might press the dealer on this. My car is tuned, but how does that affect the timing cover leaking? Probably wasted hot air.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Would not tell him it is tuned. Just have them look more carefully at the cover and see what they say. If they scan it then they will find it tuned, but I would argue big time if they declined to fix it under warranty. Otherwise, from what I have seen on videos this could still be a big job if you have limited space.

Reactions: krs

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Would not tell him it is tuned. Just have them look more carefully at the cover and see what they say. If they scan it then they will find it tuned, but I would argue big time if they declined to fix it under warranty. Otherwise, from what I have seen on videos this could still be a big job if you have limited space.
A lot of dealers scan it regardless of the problem.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
A lot of dealers scan it regardless of the problem.
I am sure you are correct, but since I don't like dealers I'd let him find it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I am sure you are correct, but since I don't like dealers I'd let him find it.
I would too and you're right. If it's a reasonable dealer they will fix the leak because a tune obviously didn't cause it. My dealer warranted the thermostat housing leak in spite of being tuned.

Reactions: krs

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

They already mentioned it, so I'm guessing they know.

I fell plenty capable in the job, aside from the crank pulley tool. I moved to a small town, and downgraded my 800 sq ft garage, to one that barely houses my toolbox and one car. Not to mention it's not insulated, and dark. Both of which can be remedied with a heater and lights, but the small space is annoying to say the least.

I'm waiting to hear back from the service manager. I mean even if they did say yes, we'll fix it, if their tech can't even diagnose the leak correctly, can he do the repair correctly? I hate dealerships, and have trust issues with any type of service industry, even indy shops.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
If you can afford it and throw away the warranty then I would go for finding a quality independent VW shop and have them look at it. I would not tell them anything other than you know there is an oil leak and the approximate location, then see what they say and show you. If the explanation seems correct to you and maybe the leak can be seen, then have them do the work and you purchase the parts maybe. I agree that the only reason to have a dealer do anything if it is really something major that I could not do or did not have the time.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Dropped the car off at a indy shop today, specializing in European vehicles. I just told them it leaks oil, and please let me know what they find.

They called and said they're certain it's the oil pan gasket. Easy enough fix, but I really don't feel like rolling around on my cold cement garage floor while its currently 3° outside. Parts and labor just over $200, and unfortunately it requires fresh oil which I just put in less than 100 miles ago. Crossing my fingers that's the case. First time using this shop, but they have good local reviews.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Did you ever get this resolved? I have a similar leak at the sensor, already purchased a new one.