GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil/fuel smell when pulling to a stop

00Darks00

Car(s)
Golf MK7 R
I've had my golf R over a year now and ever since I've had it stinks of oil / fuel at idle after coming to a stop,

I can see no smoke at all. its run-on Millers Nano 5w40 so thicker than the previous service 5w30 Castrol (still did it then)

it is decatted and de resonated, but this really does stink even the missus and kids say how bad it is.

any help appreciated.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I've had my golf R over a year now and ever since I've had it stinks of oil / fuel at idle after coming to a stop,

I can see no smoke at all. its run-on Millers Nano 5w40 so thicker than the previous service 5w30 Castrol (still did it then)

it is decatted and de resonated, but this really does stink even the missus and kids say how bad it is.

any help appreciated.
You sure it's oil and not your lack of cat?

00Darks00

Car(s)
Golf MK7 R
No issues with filling the tank. and I'm not sure it really stinks I've had decatted cars before but this one's a proper stinker

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Maybe just from your catless downpipe? Even my high flow catted downpipe stinks. Check for exhaust leaks though.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
No issues with filling the tank. and I'm not sure it really stinks I've had decatted cars before but this one's a proper stinker
When you drive it easy does it still smell like oil? About 7.07 USD for a gallon of 91-octane petrol in your area?

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Most cars, Golf R's included, give off a slightly noticeable odor when the catalytic converters are removed. If you bought the car with the cat already deleted, that would be my number one suspect here. Though mine is still on, I've heard from some who've done this with their R's that this odor is often present while sitting in the (stationary) car when the motor is running.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
You've had the car for over a year now. Has the smell always been there or is this new?

edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG

any help appreciated.
My GTI is decatted and resonator deleted like yours, no oil smell but it stinks when I use hi octane gas from Shell (V-Power Racing); strangely it doesn't smell so bad when I use hi octane gas from other brand...