GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Cooler

Wrr1020

Ready to race!
Anyone running one? I was considering buying one but don't see many available for our car. I saw USP motorsports has a mishimoto cooler but I've heard both good and bad with mishimoto, moreso the latter.

Why going aftermarket when there's OE stuff available? Golf Rs w/ DSG commonly
get two additonal auxiliary radiators, probably same applies to the GTI Clubsport S.
Along with the stock oil/coolant heat exchanger both the coolant and oil temps are
decreased by a noticeable degree. It's not just the oil temp, it's cylinder head temp
you want to keep as low as possible at high loads and elevated ambient temps.

https://www.google.de/search?q=GTI+...vkLbH08Afe-7rQCw#q=Mk7+GTI+auxiliary+radiator

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
To answer your question, there is one or two company's that make adaptors that come off the side of the filter housing and replace the factory oil/coolant exhanger, but it requires removal of the manifold and the water pump. Also they need to have a block off that runs to the exchanger to the water pump. You will also need an inline thermostat so your oil temps don't drop too low while you are at normal cruising speeds. My opinion would be to run a track day while it's hot and see what your temps are. If you don't see too much heat you probably won't need an oil cooler. Most people are not running oil coolers for track use but you will see dedicated track cars with oil coolers

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
There is a built in oil heat exchanger on the car (it's around the oil filter assembly). The duct work on the left side of the upper grill is designed to promote airflow around this area.

jtitocci

Ready to race!
Why going aftermarket when there's OE stuff available? Golf Rs w/ DSG commonly
get two additonal auxiliary radiators, probably same applies to the GTI Clubsport S.
Along with the stock oil/coolant heat exchanger both the coolant and oil temps are
decreased by a noticeable degree. It's not just the oil temp, it's cylinder head temp
you want to keep as low as possible at high loads and elevated ambient temps.

To run these, on a GTI, would you need to remove the Fog lights, for air flow? Or potentially even get a clubsport/R bumper?

Yes, you likely would. ;) Cooling and space restrictions are the reasons why most true
high performance cars have no fogs (as long as they come with Xenon or LED anyway).

You can also go with a finned aluminum oil filter housing for a little additional cooling.
Which does virtually nothing to your oil temp. ;)