GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Audi RS3 Thread

zwarse

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
08 r32
So it will only come in a 5 door? You'd think they would give you both options.
Fuel consumption seems reasonable for a 250kw car.

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
So it will only come in a 5 door? You'd think they would give you both options.

for now it only comes as a 5 door, would be nice to see a two door version.

With regards to fuel consumption ask Jester_Fu because he owns a TT-RS which uses the same engine.

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
RS3 seems like a bit of a misfire.
Yet I don't feel that way about the TTRS or the RS4,5,6 when they are all equally as mental.
Perhaps the notion of prestige/presence doesn't stick to a hatch as much as it does the other RS Audis.

... Or it could just be that it is a bit close to home and I just don't like the pricetag... :)

Other thread looked fine to me btw.
Ranty banter is the best sort!

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
RS3 seems like a bit of a misfire.
Yet I don't feel that way about the TTRS or the RS4,5,6 when they are all equally as mental.
Perhaps the notion of prestige/presence doesn't stick to a hatch as much as it does the other RS Audis.

... Or it could just be that it is a bit close to home and I just don't like the pricetag... :)

Other thread looked fine to me btw.
Ranty banter is the best sort!
yes tinto, your view has been shared by most.

I like the "a bit close to home comment" :clap: that's been a common gripe with the RS3 from what I've heard to date. Over $100K for a hatchback I suspect, but at least it will get the ice cream home from the shops in summer before it mealts. :wink:

mleung

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI Pirelli
for now it only comes as a 5 door, would be nice to see a two door version.

With regards to fuel consumption ask Jester_Fu because he owns a TT-RS which uses the same engine.

They probaly won't have the market. I think the practical nature of 5 doors on the RS-3 is whats going to sell it.

Seriously.... $100K 3 Door Hatchback.... I can think of alot of cars I would rather owner in the $100K two door space.

From a 5 door perspective though it makes much more sense as there really isn't anything that competes.

So maybe $100K 5 door that does 0-100 in less 4.5 secs does have a market.

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
It's better than the R32 around town. On a long trip, well, it does seem the 5 pot TT RS works a wee touch harder... or it could be the inclination to press the accelerator as well... or the fact the satnav always malfunctions and finds you a twisty road... or the fact that every trip is twice as long because i don't want to get out :biggrin:

A couple of times i've had it head toward 7's for 100L on the highway and then i find the satnav 'malfunctions' and i'm in the corners again. Around town it's easily as economical as the R32 and a little bit better if you drive sensibly. The little bit of extra weight in the RS3 will impact it over the TT RS (100kg's is a least one hefty passenger!)... but for the 0-100 time it can produce and the overall fun/power of the car... it's insanely sensible fuel wise.

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
What's the go with the rear exhaust pipes? Aren't they meant to be dual oval on either side "RS" signature

Attachments

• 2012-Audi-RS3-Sportback-Wallpaper.jpg
    2012-Audi-RS3-Sportback-Wallpaper.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 4,850

iluvbrownale

White Lightning
I suspect the reason, Mr Cat, the tailpipes are round is this is a bit of a cost cut car developed to run out the model and use up some parts. Cynical perhaps but looks a lot more like a parts bin special with an ECU remap than a fully developed performance model, like the TT RS, or RS4. Otherwise, why release it right at the death of the model when Audi hasn't done that with any other RS models (have they?). There's been plenty of time to do so and I'm sceptical it's only now that the business case would finally allow for production to go ahead - why spend money properly developing it on an outgoing model when the same cost would have got Audi a new gen RS3 for the range. So aside from a few tweaks i'm not banking on it being that special, other than the price which is probably going to be pretty special.

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
I suspect the reason, Mr Cat, the tailpipes are round is this is a bit of a cost cut car developed to run out the model and use up some parts. Cynical perhaps but looks a lot more like a parts bin special with an ECU remap than a fully developed performance model, like the TT RS, or RS4. Otherwise, why release it right at the death of the model when Audi hasn't done that with any other RS models (have they?). There's been plenty of time to do so and I'm sceptical it's only now that the business case would finally allow for production to go ahead - why spend money properly developing it on an outgoing model when the same cost would have got Audi a new gen RS3 for the range. So aside from a few tweaks i'm not banking on it being that special, other than the price which is probably going to be pretty special.

The RS3 may not have been as sincere as they tried to make it, The current generation is at the end of its life.

It was the same concern DonaldR32 & I agree with him. How would you feel paying $100K+ knowing that the next model line is about to be released? Anyhow a hardcore enthusiast probably wouldn't care too much about it, but what sort of a hardcore enthusiast buys Audi's? Oh, they only produce AWD "sports" cars to cater for bank executives :happyanim:

iluvbrownale

White Lightning
So, about the RS3, as I think it's a bit of a 'numbers' car, I look forward with anticipation to seeing some lap times as I wonder if there's not more than a few other hotties that will end up outpacing it for less money.

mleung

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI Pirelli
The RS3 may not have been as sincere as they tried to make it, The current generation is at the end of its life.

It was the same concern DonaldR32 had (before his post was deleted :mad:) & I agree with him. How would you feel paying $100K+ knowing that the next model line is about to be released? Anyhow a hardcore enthusiast probably wouldn't care too much about it, but what sort of a hardcore enthusiast buys Audi's? Oh, they only produce AWD "sports" cars to cater for bank executives :happyanim:

Ouch.... and Porsche drivers think they are racing car drivers until they spin out and smack into a wall. :fighting0030: :happyanim:

In saying all that... I do like the enginer out of the RS3-TTRS. I always had a thing for the 5 cylinders unique.

My preference would the 5 cylinder enginer over the 6 sixes... but that is just me.

Give me a 5 cylinder Golf R or sirocco!! haha. But then again the MK6 Golfs is kinda recclying 80% of the old car anyway.... and the Golf R is really nothing more than a glorified GTI with AWD. Or a cheap ass S3.... now since we started... doesn't VW just raid the parts bin for nearly all cars they create? Golf - Beetle - Caddy - Jetta - Tiguan - EOS - Sirocco - A3 - S3 - Q5.... and what about engines??? and what about the next boxter??? apparently platform sharing with VW.... Polo - A1... need I continue..???

Either way nothing a little modification wont' fix right?

triode12

Go Kart Champion
Ouch.... and Porsche drivers think they are racing car drivers until they spin out and smack into a wall. :fighting0030: :happyanim:

In saying all that... I do like the enginer out of the RS3-TTRS. I always had a thing for the 5 cylinders unique.

My preference would the 5 cylinder enginer over the 6 sixes... but that is just me.

Give me a 5 cylinder Golf R or sirocco!! haha. But then again the MK6 Golfs is kinda recclying 80% of the old car anyway.... and the Golf R is really nothing more than a glorified GTI with AWD. Or a cheap ass S3.... now since we started... doesn't VW just raid the parts bin for nearly all cars they create? Golf - Beetle - Caddy - Jetta - Tiguan - EOS - Sirocco - A3 - S3 - Q5.... and what about engines??? and what about the next boxter??? apparently platform sharing with VW.... Polo - A1... need I continue..???

Either way nothing a little modification wont' fix right?

So why are you going to get the Golf R then? :)

Just get Sways for you Pirelli and you are all set.

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
I like the parts-bin sharing.
The guys in Skodas are laughing at us all.

mleung

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI Pirelli
So why are you going to get the Golf R then? :)

Just get Sways for you Pirelli and you are all set.

=) well I wouldn't mind that little more of extra traction giving me that nice safe barrier of AWD... just so I can go a little more mental.

I think I just want the new car smell again.....