GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official APEX VW VS-5RS Forged 17" & 18" Wheel Thread

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
17x9 Anthracite with 255/40 Accelera 651 Sports on my Sportwagen.

View attachment 260837View attachment 260838View attachment 260898

Wowza! That looks perfect! I have a very similar spec GSW in white and this is pretty much exactly the kind of setup I was planning (except BC instead of AN). If you have any more pics, please feel free to email them to me @ geirsen@apexraceparts.com. I can get you some freebies in return!

Are the metal snap rings in the center caps supposed to stay or go?

Metal rings stay in, otherwise the caps will fall out while driving. Also, I would suggest removing the caps for any particularly hot track days, as sometimes higher ambient temps combined with hot brakes will cause them to melt in certain cases.

-Geirsen

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Wowza! That looks perfect! I have a very similar spec GSW in white and this is pretty much exactly the kind of setup I was planning (except BC instead of AN). If you have any more pics, please feel free to email them to me @ geirsen@apexraceparts.com. I can get you some freebies in return!

Metal rings stay in, otherwise the caps will fall out while driving. Also, I would suggest removing the caps for any particularly hot track days, as sometimes higher ambient temps combined with hot brakes will cause them to melt in certain cases.

-Geirsen
I have a sticky on my monitor to do it. Car is I'm shop this week so when I get it back.

Ambitorus

Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI Autobahn
20221002_133903.jpg
20221002_144550.jpg

Got mine mounted finally. On a completely unrelated note, anyone looking for some 18x8 enkei raijins?

Really definitely need moar low now though.
20221002_144446.jpg

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
52B02694-FA33-4BAB-A66D-5FBAC9E7BEC2.jpeg

F24E5593-8FBD-4D6C-AC87-C756F1523E16.jpeg
ECC14439-02FD-45C7-AD66-F385CA909E3C.jpeg

Depending on what happens with the insurance company, I may be one of the first to take advantage of the replacement policy on these wheels. I know for sure two are damaged. I haven’t looked at all of them. Pretty sure the car is totaled. Really bummed. Stolen car smashed into me.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Any update on those pics?
Funny you ask! I jsut got my car back about an hour ago from a major timing chain repair so will get er washed up this week and get some photos!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Also, of note - I grabbed a set of 5mm spacers for the rears b/c the clearance was so tight with the spindle that it knocked the wheel weights off that were put on when they installed the tires/balanced the shop said - so 5mm was really needed and it works fine now. Something to note.

Last edited:

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Also, of note - I grabbed a set of 5mm spacers for the rears b/c the clearance was so tight with the spindle that it knocked the wheel weights off that were put on when they installed the tires/blanaced the shop said - so 5mm was really needed and it works fine now. Something to note.

I appreciate the headsup! Did you happen to take any pictures of the clearance pinch point at all?

This was one of the main reasons we decided to bring on VW/Audi 3mm and 5mm spacers. Certain setups depending on the tire/suspension/alignment settings can occasionally require a few mm of additional inner clearance to avoid any rubbing/contact issues. Did you have any problems with the fuel filler hose clearance in the rear before adding the spacers?

-Geirsen

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I appreciate the headsup! Did you happen to take any pictures of the clearance pinch point at all?

This was one of the main reasons we decided to bring on VW/Audi 3mm and 5mm spacers. Certain setups depending on the tire/suspension/alignment settings can occasionally require a few mm of additional inner clearance to avoid any rubbing/contact issues. Did you have any problems with the fuel filler hose clearance in the rear before adding the spacers?

-Geirsen
I don't have any rubbing that I can see on the fuel filler hose. I don't have a pic but happy to go grab one in a few as it's in the garage. I'll take a with/without the 5mm spacer.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
No spacer - just barely rubs shock boot:

20221013_170109.jpg

No spacer, very close to suspension and knocked wheel weights that were on outer edge off:
20221013_165956.jpg

With 5mm spacer better clearance on suspension and may still *barely* rub shock boot:
20221013_170334.jpg

8.5 wide is probably a better choice overall on my car but this seems to work. I'll be doing a HPDE in early November so will report back. Hope to get it cleaned tomorrow and I'll get some pics.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok got it cleaned up/got some photos today. I’m not much of a photographer but hopefully these work. 17x9 Anthracite with 255/40/17 Accelera 651 Sports w/5mm H&R spacer on the rear. @APEXWheels emailed you a link to the Google Photos album.

20221014_104927.jpg
20221014_104846.jpg
20221014_104956.jpg
20221014_105001.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
I don't have any rubbing that I can see on the fuel filler hose. I don't have a pic but happy to go grab one in a few as it's in the garage. I'll take a with/without the 5mm spacer.

Appreciate the data point! It sounds like most of the folks I have talked to running the more aggressive 17x9" ET42 setup on non-R models have not had any fuel filler clearance issues, even with 255/40-17 tires in wider 200TW compounds.

No spacer - just barely rubs shock boot:

View attachment 262880
No spacer, very close to suspension and knocked wheel weights that were on outer edge off:
View attachment 262879

With 5mm spacer better clearance on suspension and may still *barely* rub shock boot:
View attachment 262881
8.5 wide is probably a better choice overall on my car but this seems to work. I'll be doing a HPDE in early November so will report back. Hope to get it cleaned tomorrow and I'll get some pics.

Is this an issue on just the sportwagen?

At first, I thought this might be an issue specific to 4motion cars but there have been a few other Alltrack/GSWs with AWD running the 17x9" ET42 without clearance issues around the barrel. That said, from the pictures you took, I think you could get away without using the 5mm spacer in the rear if you used low-profile wheel weights placed a bit more strategically in the barrel. Though, if the 5mm spacers aren't causing any fender side rubbing issues and you have no problem with using them, you probably don't need to mess about with the weights.

-Geirsen