GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

off set

galaxy

I have 2016 GTI .
I am looking for 17" rim and winter tires .
I found a set of 17" rims with same bolt pattern (5X112) as mine and 225/45/17 tires.
I know my stock 18" offset is 51. The new rim has 54 offset .
will the new rim be ok for my car ?
thanks

Last edited:

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Need more info such as if you are PP, what the width of wheels are and what they look like. Even then hard to say your risk would be brake clearance and suspension clearance since the offset will be more tucked in.

galaxy

Need more info such as if you are PP, what the width of wheels are and what they look like. Even then hard to say your risk would be brake clearance and suspension clearance since the offset will be more tucked in.

The rim is 7Jx17 ET54 , 5X112 from 2014 Jetta TDi
Mine is GTI autobahn , no performance package.
thanks

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
It should clear even the bigger PP/Golf R brakes.

17x7 ET54

galaxy

Might wanna check here as a start: https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Result from the site :
"Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 3.4mm further away from the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 9.4mm less than before."

So the new rim will go inward about 9.4mm than before. Apart from the look, is there any fender scratch , touching suspension or turning issues etc ?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
It'll be fine. Not "hella flush" visually appealing, but assuming this is for the winter - it's fine.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Do you need to get an alignment when switching sizes like this for winter or otherwise or is it all about proper balancing?