GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM mk7 GTI gear knob on GT.

Russkiya

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

Hellllp! :(

Has anybody managed to fit a golf ball gear knob from the GTI on a lesser model.

I bought an original (UK, right hand drive version) from a German dealer and it looks like the the stick is shorter on the GTI to account for the gap below the Golf ball.

Hope that makes sense.

The stick on both have a groove that stops the knob rotating;but its only about 1 ½" long. so to get the same length required the groove would be gone.

As an engineer, its pretty much impossible to put another groove in.

tortor

Golf Mk7 GTD knob

I've installed a GTD(same as GTi without red) on my G7 Highline.
Need to 4 cm of cut speed lever
with a dremel tool.
Same done on a G6 2.0tdi 110hp. In this case I changed the 6 speed emblem with an alfa romeo mate silver 5 speed emblem (also used a dremel to fit it :))

Attachments

• IMG_4860.JPG
    IMG_4860.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 4,705

Swinny

Mk7 Golf GTI Gear Knob

Hi,

Just checking if anyone has tried fitting a GTI gear knob onto a Mk7 GT. Did you cut just 4cm off, and did it fit.

Thanks
Matt

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi,

Just checking if anyone has tried fitting a GTI gear knob onto a Mk7 GT. Did you cut just 4cm off, and did it fit.

Thanks
Matt

Measure down using a thin straight rod the depth of the hollow top section of the rod. Using pipe cutter cut the hollow section off. Then protect the whole area & using a file, shape one side of the rod as per the original. This allows the gearstick to fit properly & lower down & not rotate!

This is mine before I fitted the GTD (same as GTI, but grey stitching) to my car (GT spec)

Attachments

• Gear-stick-rod.jpg
    Gear-stick-rod.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 2,174

rorsters

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm just checking. I just measured both gear knobs from the top to the bottom of the plastic holder. The difference in height between the GTD and GT gear knob is 24mm.
Also the depth of the hole in GTD is shallower by 24mm.
By removing 40mm does this make the gear shift shorter or not??

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm just checking. I just measured both gear knobs from the top to the bottom of the plastic holder. The difference in height between the GTD and GT gear knob is 24mm.
Also the depth of the hole in GTD is shallower by 24mm.
By removing 40mm does this make the gear shift shorter or not??

The GTi/GTD knob has a plastic hollow spacer between the knob & the gaiter, the plain gearknob does not so the metal rod goes right through into the knob itself. If you just fit the GTi/GTD knob without chopping the metal rod down then the knob sits higher & feels strange as your hand is at the wrong angle. Also the gaiter is strained where it joins the centre console frame & will keep pulling out as the gaiter was designed to sit lower down.

So you have to chop the metal rod down.....& this will make it the similar overall height as the previous plain gearknob. & will not shorten the gear shift itself....you need the alter the linkage on the top of the gearbox to do that...

My guide for the 6speed MQ250 gearbox...

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14444

rorsters

Passed Driver's Ed
WOW golfdave a bit above my head.

So what I've done is as the GTD is both 24mm shorter and the hole is 24mm shallower I reckoned I needed to remove 48mm from the gear lever.
Checked this by used two wooden dowel rods the same length, and removing 48mm and this made the two gear knobs exactly level. So made my cut.
The chamfered part appeared to be the same in both knobs so as this was 40mm on the stick before I cut it that's what I did after cutting, using a file.
This got the new GTD knob to the required level.
I've taken photos and will post when I've worked out how.

robby1

Ready to race!
WOW golfdave a bit above my head.

So what I've done is as the GTD is both 24mm shorter and the hole is 24mm shallower I reckoned I needed to remove 48mm from the gear lever.
Checked this by used two wooden dowel rods the same length, and removing 48mm and this made the two gear knobs exactly level. So made my cut.
The chamfered part appeared to be the same in both knobs so as this was 40mm on the stick before I cut it that's what I did after cutting, using a file.
This got the new GTD knob to the required level.
I've taken photos and will post when I've worked out how.

Any pics yet?

Maxcowe1

Passed Driver's Ed
rsz_img_8309.jpg

Thanks!! managed to fit the GTI golfball to my GT, works perfect and looks original... Might swap this for the clubsport alcantara one now :D

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate