GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Odd Power Folding Mirrors Question

MrPEZident

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA 2017 GTI SE
I had purchased a set of these folding side mirrors for my car that had DAP/blind spot monitoring but I never installed them. I now own a different model car without DAP.
My question is; could I still install the DAP folding mirrors on the non-DAP car and still have them be folding-functional? I know the blind spot monitoring wouldn't work, just curious if they would throw an error code or not fold or have a different connector or something. Thanks in advance.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You're good to go. The blind spot monitoring is a separate (two wire) harness/plug. You just won't plug it in.

Think of the mirror assembly (mount, motor, heater, etc.) as something separate from BSM. Non BSM mirrors can become BSM mirrors by adding the two wire harness and glass with the indicator. By that same means, you could replace the glass in your folding mirrors with the glass from your current non folding mirrors if you don't want to have the nonworking indicator (and still not plug in the two wire BSM harness).

MrPEZident

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA 2017 GTI SE
You're good to go. The blind spot monitoring is a separate (two wire) harness/plug. You just won't plug it in.

Think of the mirror assembly (mount, motor, heater, etc.) as something separate from BSM. Non BSM mirrors can become BSM mirrors by adding the two wire harness and glass with the indicator. By that same means, you could replace the glass in your folding mirrors with the glass from your current non folding mirrors if you don't want to have the nonworking indicator (and still not plug in the two wire BSM harness).

Awesome news, thank you for the quick and detailed reply!

MrPEZident

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA 2017 GTI SE
Finally got around to installing them. Confirmed the mirrors w/DAP do work just fine on a non-DAP car, just got an extra wire chillin' in the mirror housing and the other end chillin' in the door panel.

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Finally got around to installing them. Confirmed the mirrors w/DAP do work just fine on a non-DAP car, just got an extra wire chillin' in the mirror housing and the other end chillin' in the door panel.
Did they come with the puddle lights? And did you code them to show up in your head unit to "Fold away after parking" I found it's a nice option to uncheck and not always fold or just do fold them with the switch.

MrPEZident

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA 2017 GTI SE
Yes they did come with puddle lights. I did not mess with any adaptations so the turn off option does not show in the head unit. All I did was the driver and passenger door long coding to activate the puddle lights and enable the manual switch.... something wierd though, they operate with the key FOB locking and unlocking buttons but I understood that would only work by doing the adaptation to make them do so, so that is wierd.

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Yes they did come with puddle lights. I did not mess with any adaptations so the turn off option does not show in the head unit. All I did was the driver and passenger door long coding to activate the puddle lights and enable the manual switch.... something wierd though, they operate with the key FOB locking and unlocking buttons but I understood that would only work by doing the adaptation to make them do so, so that is wierd.
No worries, you already did long coding for that, just one more to give you the option, another one to add the passenger mirror dip in reverse.