GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBD11 Versions and Diagnostics

MK2MK7

Car(s)
GTI MK7
My 2017 GTI Sport has been throwing all error lights ( ABS, ECS, Adaptive Headlights, Tire Pressure, Cruise Control!, ... ) on startup with increasing frequency. Sometimes also throws them while driving on occasions when it didn't do so on start. Research suggests it's likely caused by a bad/failing ABS sensor or its wiring. I'd like to confirm that, and it appears that OBD can read codes that would help me identify which sensor(s) are at fault. That info would help me decide whether replacing it/them is a project I want to tackle myself.

It looks like there are multiple versions of the OBD 11 2nd generation: no plan, Pro plan, and Ultimate plan. Does anyone know if the "no plan" version provides the detail I'd need to see which ( if any ) wheel sensors are acting up? Does that version give access to all error codes?

I'm not considering any additional software mods right now, since the three issues I most care about are already implemented: courtesy blink = 5, "roll down all windows on long press of unlock fob button", and Soundaktor is off. But the ability to do some coding might be handy: I replaced the original battery a couple months ago (when this issue first started) with a seemingly identical OEM battery, and didn't have any way to apply coding for the new one.

Recommendations for which model is best suited to diagnostics (and maybe easy coding for the new battery) would be much appreciated, as would pointers to sources of more info on using the various versions of OBD11 and its software.

TIA!!

Geoff

gtiguy482

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
‘19 Tornado Red GSW
The basic device will let you see and clear error codes and give you their frequency count. You can perform full scans and scan individual modules I believe. The pro plan will allow to go deeper into the control module to perform long coding changes and changes to adaptions. Basically allowing you to make the coding changes without the one click apps and purchasing credits. You will need a pro plan to code the battery.

There are also differences between the operating system you are using. There are more functions for android users vs iOS users. I’m sure you’ve already checked their website about the differences between pro plans and non pro plan. You can usually find some for sale here and over on the vortex.

I bought the basic device and then bought a pro plan after the fact. I am now on a lifetime pro plan I was able to get from a user that no longer needed it. As it is now the pro plan is a yearly subscription. Another option you may want to consider would be a ross-tech cable. It will provide the same benefits just in a different format and requires a computer. Obd11 is better if you need to check codes on the go.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I bought the basic device and then bought a pro plan after the fact. I am now on a lifetime pro plan I was able to get from a user that no longer needed it. As it is now the pro plan is a yearly subscription.
I started off with the lifetime Pro plan and am glad I did. Everyone and their mother, brother, significant other are going to subscription models since they are not happy with the profit received off the initial sale (should have charged more if they wanted more money) and they just want that constant cash flow. There's nothing stopping them from dropping the lifetime license at some point as it is and I expect that to happen one day. I mean, seriously, a subscription for heated seats? Really?

MK2MK7

Car(s)
GTI MK7
So finally ran tests with my new OBD11, and see what appears to confirm the forum consensus that I have a bad/failing ABS Sensor. I see the following in the 03 Brakes section...

Faults:
C101A4A - Left front ABS wheel speed sensor
Incorrect component installed
Intermittent

C101A07 - Left front ABS wheel speed sensor
Electrical error
Intermittent

C101A29 - Left front ABS wheel speed sensor
Implausible signal
Intermittent

C101A14 - Left front ABS wheel speed sensor
Open circuit/short circuit to ground
Intermittent

C114602 - Tire pressure monitoring display
Signal error
Intermittent

...and this in the 01 Engine section...

Faults:
U112300 - Databus error value received
Intermittent

U012100 - Lost Communication With
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module
Intermittent

U041500 - Invalid Data Received From
Anti-Lock Brake System Control Module
Intermittent

U041500 - Invalid Data Received From
Anti-Lock Brake System Control Module
Intermittent

...but wonder whether the "U112300 - Databus error value received" points specifically at the sensor as the source of all errors, or if it might be the sensor's wiring harness, another wiring harness, or maybe another component? That same error also appears in sections 55 Headlight Regulation, 44 Steering Assistance, 32 Lock Electronics, and 2B Steering Column Lock. These, plus an Airbag fault code "B10B300, account for the error lights that pop up on the dash intermittently.

Looking for a strategy to get it sorted out. Saw youtube video of the procedure to replace an ABS sensor, but feel ill-equipped to replace the sensor myself, and I have no idea how to test the wiring/harnesses if that's a better place to start. Any/all suggestions are appreciated!